Author Topic: Packets of old negatives  (Read 3131 times)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Elias Saundie (Soundie) and Jane Heeley
    • View Profile
Packets of old negatives
« on: Wednesday 08 May 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
Finally getting around to searching through all the stuff cleared from my dads house and i have found several packets of old negatives I think they are 1920-30s Is it possible to have them reprinted and if so any suggestions on where/how.

Donna
Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Packets of old negatives
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 00:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help but your location may help others with any recommendations?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 03:39 BST (UK) »
Finally getting around to searching through all the stuff cleared from my dads house and i have found several packets of old negatives I think they are 1920-30s Is it possible to have them reprinted and if so any suggestions on where/how.

Donna

And what size negative? Are they the older larger almost square type - like the ones the Box Brownies took? 

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 05:47 BST (UK) »
I found some in my dads things
Took them to a high street camera shop   they develpod them ..quite expensive and some were blurry and we dont know who the people in rhem are ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 09:02 BST (UK) »
There are scanners available, some costing less than £50, although the cheaper ones tend to be for 35mm or less. I have one I bought from Aldi a few years ago for £14, it works quite well for 35mm film and slides.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/film-scanners
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 10:52 BST (UK) »

Donna

And what size negative? Are they the older larger almost square type - like the ones the Box Brownies took?

I think some are 1950s 2” by2”  as I recognise my mum as a child and the others 2” by 3” are 1920s as my grandmother was a nanny and these are photographs of her on holiday with the children she cared for before she got married in 1929 some of these prints are in an album too.

Surname interests Soundie, Brookfield, Healey/Heeley, Frost, Handley, Goodall Weaver, Evans, Pagett, Waywell/Whaywell, Haimes, Jones, Roberts, Cummins Ryder, Bleasdale and Foley, Jackson, Robinson, Calvert and Grayson.
Searching in Liverpool, Shropshire, London, Worcester and Holywell, Stafford and Cheshire.  (and eventually in Ireland) :-)

Offline munchies

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:07 BST (UK) »
There are scanners available, some costing less than £50, although the cheaper ones tend to be for 35mm or less. I have one I bought from Aldi a few years ago for £14, it works quite well for 35mm film and slides.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/film-scanners

I considered buying a scanner as it might end up being cheaper but most of them only seem to mention the more common strips of negatives that I remember from childhood not these individual oblong negatives that I have. I might have to have a trip to Curry’s or somewhere to physically look at the scanners.
Thanks though for the link

Donna

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:12 BST (UK) »
It's about ten years ago now but my friend lent me a scanner which had an attachment for slides - it had several attachments for different slides.  Whether these things are still available I don't know, but the results were excellent.  It was very tedious, and a lot of them were landscapes and people I don't know, but it was certainly cheaper than paying someone else to do it. 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 11:47 BST (UK) »
Have you got a local Camera Club or Photographic Society? Some of them may still have the kit to be able to develop photos?
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake