Author Topic: Finding final resting place  (Read 489 times)

Offline Heather Gough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding final resting place
« on: Wednesday 08 May 19 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have my grandfathers death certificate but now I would like to find out if he was buried or cremated and where he was laid to rest.  He died in Falkirk in 1951.  Where is the best place to find this information?  I have tried find a grave with no luck.  I have tried searches on various websites and google over the past few months but have not come up with anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't want to give up.  I didn't know he was my grandfather until I started my family tree so never knew him but if I could find him I would like to pay my respects.

Thank you

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding final resting place
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

A few ideas come to mind:

-Would he have been buried with your Grandmother or nearby (assuming you know where she is buried)?
-Hopefully his last address was on the death certificate, so you could contact the nearest cemeteries?
-Look through old newspapers for an obituary, as often they mention where the interment was to take place.
-Contact these folks to see if they will search their records: http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/places/cemeteries-crematorium/

Good luck in your search!

Offline Heather Gough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

We think he may have had a paupers funeral.

Great idea to get in touch with Falkirk.gov.uk why didn't I think of that........................!!  I hope they are not waiting for a long lost relative to get in touch and pay the bill.  :o  If it is true it makes me quite sad that there was no one there for him.

Kind regards

Heather

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 19 11:08 BST (UK) »
Does the death cert give a place of death? (hospital, house etc).

It could be a long shot, but you might try googling nearby undertakers to see if they have records going back to the 1950s and would be willing to check. (This might sound odd, but I found my grandmother's 1970 burial this way).

Good luck
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather Gough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip

Fantastic idea thanks.

I am on the case!

Regards

Heather