Author Topic: Lawson Peter;Lawson John; Lawson Robert  (Read 768 times)

Offline banksiapat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawson Peter;Lawson John; Lawson Robert
« on: Tuesday 14 May 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I wondered whether anyone else is tracing this family?
Peter Lawson m to Elizabeth Vesey13/12/1899, Partick, Glasgow, Scotland
John Lawson (his father) m Ann Watt, 31/12/1877, Partick, Glasgow, Scotland
Robert Lawson (his grandfather) m Margaret McKay? Kay? Hay?

I'm finding it difficult to trace either the correct Robert or the correct Margaret (shown as deceased on John Lawson"s marriage certificate).  I wondered whether he  was born elsewhere in Scotland, not in Glasgow.  I can find many Robert Lawsons but not married to Margaret McKay.

No difficulties on the female side of the family they are well documented but I wanted to pursue the direct line of Lawsons if possible. 

Thanks for any information you can share.

Kind regards to all,

Banksiapat

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lawson Peter;Lawson John; Lawson Robert
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Does it give the occupation of his father Robert ? Looking at the census records is this your
John Lawson born in Clackmannan occupation carter ? Living at 4 Newton Street Patrick (1891 )
A tree has his father as Peter Lawson mother Margaret Hay   ..There is a birth for a John Lawson
18/5/1839 Dollar Clackmanan...father Peter Lawson mother Margt Hay   ...
What does his death certificate say for the names of his parents ?

Rosie

Offline banksiapat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 03:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie, for your prompt reply. I don't have a death certificate for John but according to Stat Marriages 646/02 0014] my John Lawson married Ann Watt on 31/12/1877 at The Manse, Partick.  His parents were given as Robert Lawson, Carter and Margaret Lawson (deceased) née McKay.  What I have just realised now in looking at it again  is that it is not McKay but MS Kay.  Need to leave this history alone for a couple of hours and do some housework and gardening to clear my head!

Thanks again

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 07:11 BST (UK) »
Might be worth while getting the death certificate ...Looking on Scotland's People there are several births with the surname Lawson born Dollar Clackmannan parents Peter Lawson Margaret Hay

Rosie

Offline banksiapat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
I have looked at those previously, Rosie but this John Lawson's father is Robert not Peter. I have seen the other tree showing Peter as his father but no proof to back it up.  If possible I want proof (certificate, census printout etc) for anyone going on my tree.  My daughter is doing another tree and discovered an entry that was based on family hearsay.  However it wasn't the correct person and she rectified that but even now, years later, she finds the incorrect data popping up all over the place! 

I'm probably being very naive in hoping I can authenticate everyone!

Thanks for your interested help.

banksiapat

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hopefully you will find his parents ..good luck with your research and keep us updated

Rosie  :)

Offline banksiapat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 May 19 00:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie for your help and good wishes.

Best regards

banksiapat

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 May 19 03:30 BST (UK) »
In 1901 John and Annie have a nephew Walter Lawson bc.1877 Partick with them.

Traced back this Walter and he was born 6/11/1876 Partick, illeg. son of Walter Lawson, carter, and Agnes Fergusson.   Don't think they ever married (was hoping to see who his father named as his parents) BUT Walter Lawson senior died in 1893 - his death certificate shows his parents as Peter Lawson, carter and Margaret, nee Hay.

The 'Robert' shown as John's father on his marriage certificate is incorrect and should read Peter.

Both John Lawson and his brother Walter Lawson were creative with their ages on the census - John Lawson born 18th May 1839, bp.30/6/1839 Dollar, Clackmannanshire and Walter Lawson b.28/7/1849, bp.26/8/1849 Dollar, parents Peter Lawson and Margaret Hay.  In 1841 Peter and Margaret are in Dollar, with John aged 2.

Found John's death certificate - he died 30/11/1912 Maryhill, Glasgow as John Hay Lawson, certificate confirms his wife as Ann Watt and more importantly for you, his father is named as Peter Lawson, carter (dec'd) and mother as Margaret nee Hay (dec'd).

In 1851 Peter, Margaret and their children are in Tillicoultry - includes both John and Walter.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 May 19 07:12 BST (UK) »
Great find Annette ...That is the same family I have been following through the census relating to John Lawson and his wife Ann Watt ..In all census forms John's birth place is listed as being born Clackmannan which led me to his father being Peter Lawson mother Margaret Hay glad you have solved the mystery ...The marriage for Peter Lawson 16/6/1833 Dollar Clackmannan has Margaret Hay as Mary Hay ...All births for children have the mother as Margaret Hay she died 1859 Tillicoultry Clackmannan age 50 mothers maiden name Henderson

Rosie