Author Topic: Cambridge Asylum for soldier's widows in Norbiton Kingston - admission records  (Read 2685 times)

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi - I have two ancestors that lived in this home and wondered if anyone knows if there are admission records and how to go about accessing them - thanks all  :-*
BRADBURY - Nottingham
ROBERT RICE - New Zealand
ELIZA COMFORT YATES - Staffordshire, England
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
HALL - Knocknaveigh, Cavan, Ireland
ALLEN/ALLAN - Tipperary, Ireland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline carolm3150

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridge Asylum for soldier's widows in Norbiton Kingston - admission records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 20 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I'm not sure if you are still looking for information on soldiers' widows.
If so, I have a record of several hundred.  Unfortunately it is not complete, but many that I have include husband's regiment and the date of their election for admission.
Send me the names and I'll check them.

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cambridge Asylum for soldier's widows in Norbiton Kingston - admission records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 20 19:17 GMT (UK) »
H- - thanks that would be great
Elizabeth - wife of John Bradford and Elizabeth Sophia wife of William Bradford
Elizabeth was there at the 1871 census and died in 1876.  Elizabeth Sophia was not there at the 1871 census but died there in 1875. Elizabeth is Elizabeth Sophia's mother-in-law.
Many thanks  :D
BRADBURY - Nottingham
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline carolm3150

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Bradford was elected for admittance to the Asylum on 26th May 1866.  She received 676 votes. (Voting was by subscribers.) Elizabeth's husband had served in the Royal Artillery. Let me know if you want any information about the election process or conditions in the Home.
I can't find any trace of Elizabeth Sophia. Her husband was also in the Artillery - he was a sergeant - for 21 years and was discharged with pension of 1/11d per day in 1860.  In the 1861 census he is shown as a Chelsea Pensioner. He died in 1870, but you probably already know this.  Elizabeth Sophia was living near Woolwich in 1871.  This was the artillery depot and she may have been receiving some assistance from the regiment as well as working as a dressmaker.  Applicants had to be at least 50 years of age to enter the Asylum so she would not have been eligible until about 1873. Elections were usually held in May each year and usually only about 6 new inmates were selected.  I have checked the admissions from 1871 to 1876 and she's not listed. Do you have a death certificate or something that shows she was actually living in the Asylum and not just in the area to be near her mother-in-law? She had young children in 1871 and they wouldn't be able to enter the Home. Do you know what happened to them?
I have quite a bit of information about William's military career. Let me know if you want that.
Do you have further information on John Bradford? When born, married, died etc
Carolyn

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thankyou Carolyn! I am interested in the election process and conditions in the home  :)
Elizabeth Sophia definitely died in the Cambridge Asylum - death cert attached (cropped because of file size - MA Fry is the informant - a resident in the asylum). Her youngest child went to the Royal Patriotic School for Girls (orphans school), others went into service.
I have a lot of information about William but unfortunately know next to nothing about John except that he was a gunner in the RHA 3rd battalion. I know he enlisted 24 April 1805 and had three sons that I know of - James born Chatham, Kent 1815, William born Valenciennes 1817 and John (died as an infant) born Woolwich 1821. I don't know when or where he was married or Elizabeth's maiden name. I think he was dead by 1841 as Elizabeth is living with James and there is no mention of John. She is listed as a widower at the 1851 census.

BRADBURY - Nottingham
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline carolm3150

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I've double checked and still can't locate an admission date for Elizabeth Sophia.  M A Fry is Mary Ann Fry who was in the Home for several decades. I've (hopefully) attached a couple of items about Elizabeth senior.
Every tear subscribers (often Regiments) could nominate a suitable candidate. She must be over 50 and of good character and husband should have served at least 14 years. Elections were held in May and subscribers who had donated at least a guinea got to vote. The bigger the donation, the more votes you got. As there were only a few vacancies every year, lobbying could be fierce and some Regiments complained that they had never had a widow elected while "favoured" units - the Guards, the Artillery and the Engineers were frequently elected.
Conditions were quite pleasant. Each woman had her own room with a sign on her door giving her details e.g Mrs Bradford, Royal Artillery. The women received a grant of 7 shillings a week plus additional money for coal in winter.  Because of its Royal patronage, there were frequent visits from members of the Royal family and annual dinners. There was a hospital ward with qualified staff who looked after those with temporary ailments and also those who could no longer care for themselves.
The Asylum was always short of funds which restricted the number who could be admitted - it varied between 40 and 75.  From about 1904 out-pensions were paid which allowed women to live with their families. There was usually only about 7 of these at any time.
Carolyn

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Carolyn - that is very interesting. Do you have any information as to when John Bradford died or what Elizabeth's maiden name was .... that would be amazing  ::)
BRADBURY - Nottingham
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
WILSON - Scotland
RENFREW - Scotland
WHITE - Scotland
THOMSON - Scotland

Offline daverly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 22 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon one and all
I have just discovered that my Gt Gt Grandmother, Mary Josephine Highfield (formerly Mayman nee Doolittle) was in this Royal Cambridge Asylum in the 1921 census.
Having never known this I did a "google" search and a Rootschat.com chat about someone having some names and admission information came up. The persons username is carolm3150 and if anyone knows of her, can someone please advise how I can contact her.
Thanks
Oxfordshire - FOSTER, COOPER
Berkshire - PRATER, HYDE
London - BASTABLE
Kent - SAYER

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 January 22 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello daverly,

Welcome to RootsChat. As you have now replied to carolm3150 topic, they will now be notified by email of your reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk