Author Topic: Newcastle Archives lookup please  (Read 1118 times)

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Archives lookup please
« on: Friday 17 May 19 11:49 BST (UK) »
My 2x great grandmother died from burns after her clothing caught fire when she was removing a kettle from her fire.
This was on the 30th March 1920 & her inquest was held at Newcastle on the 1st April. If anyone has access to the inquest records at the archives could they please kindly look up this inquest for me.
Thank you  :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Archives lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nt9/

That is a link the the Archives catalogue. If you put Inquest into the 'any text' box and hit search you can see what they hold.
Unfortunately it looks like they don't have case files for the time frame you require. They do have Coroners registers that cover this period but they are just a chronological list of cases and only contain information you already have,

Boo

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 19 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information Boo.  :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 May 19 20:34 BST (UK) »
Just wish I could have been more positive.
I'd suggest keeping an eye on British Newspaper Online. If they get round to scanning the Newcastle Chronicle for 1920 its 'possible' that there may have been a report of the inquest in the newspaper.

Boo

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 May 19 21:06 BST (UK) »
You have been a great help Boo as I did not know I could search the Archives catalogue in this way. Thank you once again.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 May 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi erin31,

If you like I will check at the Newcastle City library to see if there may have been a newspaper report on the inquest.  I will be able to do this at some point likely in the next few weeks as soon as my shifts fit in with the library opening hours.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 May 19 08:49 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass that would be great. Thank you  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 May 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
No, problem - I will report back soon on this when I next get the chance to go.  The newspapers did tend to report on inquests so I am (cautiously) hopeful.  Will be back on this thread within next few weeks at some point. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 May 19 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi erin31,

Unfortunately, there is a time gap in the Evening Chronicle newspapers for the period when a report of the inquest may have appeared.

The 2nd April edition of the Journal is missing - can't see anything in the editions of this newspaper around that time.  On the 3rd there is a report about a Francis Alice Allen but she was found in the Tyne and there was a write up about that she had been very frightened by her husband.  Nothing to do with a fire so I presume this lady is not your ancestor.

As a last resort I tried the Illustrated Chronicle - nothing there either about a woman who was burnt.  Only about the body of a woman found in the Tyne.  Woman above was named in this newspaper.

Sorry, I have not been able to find anything for you - it was worth a try.