Author Topic: Rag and bone man  (Read 67256 times)

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
Re: Rag and bone man
« Reply #99 on: Friday 09 July 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
It was another world!

My grandmother rarely carried her shopping home.  The butcher, baker and grocer all employed someone to deliver the customers' goods.  All they had to do was to call into the shop, order and pay and the stuff would be delivered to the house.

I remember waiting to give the milkman's horse an apple.  I was so small the horse's head was above mine but he was a gentle giant.

Some years ago I accompanied my daughter's class on a day trip and we stopped to look at some cows in a field.  A small boy tugged at my arm and said 'What are they, miss?  It turned out that he'd only ever seen cows from a car window and had no idea of the size of the animals!  :D

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 09 July 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
My Great Granddad was a Rag and Bone Man  :)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 09 July 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
My Oh is a modern day rag and bone man - at least you would think he was by the state of the house and the amount of old junk he picks up!

I'm sticking some of it on ebay while he is away... I suppose it is a modern day equivalent

Milly ;D

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
How our eating habits have changed!  When I was a child we used to have pork pie and picallili for breakfast on Christmas Day.  On Boxing Day breakfast was turkey jelly on toast.

For most of the last 20 years I've made a 3lb pie for Christmas (especially breakfast).  The meat composition varies - last year was sausage and black pudding.

Turkey dripping on toast sounds rather familiar too ... pity I dropped the turkey last year so gravy was in short supply :( 
Still, unlike on the TV soaps, we had our Christmas dinner at the intended time :D
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
We only have a turkey crown these days but even the whole ones don't seem to produce the lovely stock that turns into the jelly and fat.

I never really liked the Christmas dinner as a child but I loved Boxing Day; we always had bubble and squeak to go with cold turkey and a cold buffet tea.

One of my most enduring memories of Christmas (probably about 1965) was when the trifle froze solid.  It had been left on the larder shelf.  We put this confection on top of the calor gas heater until it thawed enough to be eaten.  It must have been a freezing cold day as we had this heater on as well as a coal fire!

Cold or not, we ate this melting mess of a half thawed out trifle and told each other what a merry Christmas it had been.

Our name should have been CRATCHIT! ;D

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Coal in London in me yoof was delivered by a man with horse and cart ... and it was always an embarrassed me that had to go out after with a coal shovel and bucket to pick up what the horse left for my Grannies roses !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Our little charmer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Friday 09 July 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
I wouldn'b be embarrassed to go and collect some horse droppings nowadays.  It makes wonderful compost as your Grannie knew! ;D

Slightly off topic; I was watching one of the 'Jimmy's' programmes about cows the other day and apparently, something is done during the process of preparing milk for our consumption that prevents the cream forming on the top of the milk.

We just thought that the swindling so and so's had pinched it to sell in other products! ::)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 09 July 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
Homogenised ?
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Friday 09 July 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
Coal in London in me yoof was delivered by a man with horse and cart ... and it was always an embarrassed me that had to go out after with a coal shovel and bucket to pick up what the horse left for my Grannies roses !

Yes I had forgotten about that!

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk