Author Topic: Thornton-le-Moors Graveyard; find a grave photo hard to read  (Read 1748 times)

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornton-le-Moors Graveyard; find a grave photo hard to read
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lena,
I just checked Joseph Sudlow and there is be a blip on his www.findagrave.com entry.
It is because you have the same Richard Sudlow (1763-1835) as both Joseph's father and half sibling.
You need to change his father to Richard Sudlow (1732-1801).
So, for Joseph's father you need to delete 147552045 and insert 199322739.
I hope that helps.
Simon

PS it's useful to cut and paste the numbers from the profiles when you check - just in case I have got them wrong.
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ancestry tree 'Bellingham-Plank-Andrews-Evans'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for making that easy for me, Simon. I was just staring at the FaG problem and realised I needed to change something!
I've been trying to trace my direct ancestor link to Thornton-le-Moors, Richard Sudlow 1796-1846. I really hoped he would be named on that stone you transcribed. He is a mystery. I'd love to confirm his parents and go back a generation or 2.

The problem, for anyone able to make suggestions:

The younger Richard Sudlow on the Thornton gravestone died in Plumbe St, in Liverpool, and my Richard also lived and died in Liverpool. Both of their death notices in the newspapers say they are 'late of Hapsford', yet I cannot find my Richards burial, or baptism. I know some of the early Thornton records are damaged... I was thinking Richard and Elizabeth were his parents, but my Richard seems to have hit hard times. Working as a Porter, supporting his 7 year old son alone, he was in the workhouse medical ward in 1844, 1845 & 1846, each time his birthplace is blank or 'unknown'.
What I think is his death notice, says: Liverpool Mercury: "Oct 30, aged 50, Mr Richard Sudlow, late of Hapsford, Cheshire".
1822: Richard marries Ann Wright of Dunham/Thornton-L-M, in St Oswalds, Chester. Richard is a farmer. Both of this parish.
They have children in Thornton, Manley, Woolton, Allerton, Manley, then Liverpool.
1841 census: Mile End, Liverpool, says he was born in this county. His youngest son is with him, and it would seem that his 2 daughters are living separately, in Richmond Row, Liverpool, with a 'Hannah Sudlow', a Victualler (is this Ann Wright? but I cannot find her death).
I cannot find graves or burial records for Richard and Ann, or any of their children.
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.
IRELAND: Bellingham, Hunter,Keenan, Russel,Coulter, Coyle, Pritchard.
WALES: Jones,Evans.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
I will hopefully get back to Thornton-le-Moors in the next few days for the other grave.

Meanwhile, did you come across the 'The Liverpool Mercury' of 26 Jan 1858 death announcement that states, "Dec 28, at Toronto, Upper Canada, aged 46, Richard, second son of the late Mr. Richard Sudlow, of this town" ?

NB the numbers '28' and '46' are quite fuzzy so could be '23' 'and '48' - though I am pretty confident the '28' and '46' are correct.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 May 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
Also, in 'The Liverpool Mail' of 12 May 1855, the following marriage announcement: "On the 10th instant, at St. Nicholas's Church, by the Rev. A. J. Tomlin, Mr. Benjamin Lyons, of Boughton, in the county of Chester, to Eliza, daughter of the late Mr. Richard Sudlow, of this town".

Might that be one of the other daughters you refer to ?

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 May 19 03:33 BST (UK) »
I don't recall seeing either of those newspaper entries, Simon. My membership to the newspaper archives expired a few months ago, so for now I'm just working on the summaries I can see. I'll look into the Canada connection. Thanks for that.

The children I have for my Richard & Ann are:

Henry, 1822, Thornton-le-Moors
William, 1825, Garston, Manley
Mary, 1827, Woolton, Lancs.

Mary, 1829, Allerton, West Derby (married Charles Davenport; Mary living Richmond Row, father Richard Sudlow, Servantman, 1846)

Ellen, 1831, Manley, Cheshire (My 3rd G/Grandmother, married George Lloyd, living in Kirkdale, her father Richard Sudlow, deceased, 1861)

Samuel, 1835, Liverpool

(Eliza, who married Benjamin Lyons, was born c1802)
SCOTLAND:  Ferguson, Livingston, Henderson, Stanners, Dougal, Milne, Andrew, Robertson, Duncan, McVinish, Goodall, Laird, Eadie, Ballingham, Bonthrone, Mitchell, Templeton, Donald, Scott, Russell, Towers, Henry, Bell, McLennan, MacKenzie, Leishman, Wilson, Pryde, Galloway, Fortune, Main, Marshall, Denovan.
ENGLAND: Evans, Lloyd, Sudlow, Wright, Moore, Baylis, Parton, Sainsbury, Plank, Jones, France, Eddie.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 May 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Second grave now done and uploaded. You will need to wait for the owner of each of the graves to accept the amendments but you can see the photos I have uploaded. Meanwhile, here is the text in the formatting on the grave (including William Sudlow's surname split onto two lines):

In Memory
Of Mary late Wife of William
Sudlow of Hapsford who died
August 9th 1799 aged 27 Years.
Also the Body of the above
said William who died July
13th 1808, aged 42.
Also Hannah Wife of Samuel Sud
low of Hapsford who died Sepr. 10th
1837 aged 52.
Also the above Samuel Sudlow
who died January 7th. 1863 aged 82 Years.
Also Samuel, Son of Richard and
Elizabeth Sudlow, of Hapsford who
died July 30th 1863 aged 53 Years.
Also Esther their Daughter, who died
August 1st 1876, aged 80 Years.

There is one final Sudlow grave at Thornton le Moors which I only realised after I had left. It is to the right of these two. But it is only one person at the bottom of the inscriptions. Going off the findagrave photo it seems to read, "Also Hannah, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Sudlow of Hapsford who died October 22nd 1832, aged 69 Years." Next time I go past I will do a check and take a clearer photo. Until then, I will not do any suggested edits on findagrave. I'll update you again then.

Finally, I had a query on the date of Mary Sudlow's death. She was buried on 12 Aug 1799 so her death date is likely 9 Aug. However, the separate photo on findagrave shows the '9' there to be confusing. I created a thread on here which you should find easy enough in case you want to see people's thoughts. There were many helpful responses which you might find interesting.

ATB

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, the final one - Hannah Sudlow - is now amended and uploaded to www.findagrave.com at:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/146712979

Offline Hermit73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 22:46 BST (UK) »
You're a star, Simon. Thanks for all your work! Still no evidence for who my Richard Sudlow's parent were, or where he ended up being buried. At least now I know these stones don't mark his grave, and I will keep looking.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 23:29 BST (UK) »
Just one last thing. Hannah is buried with Hannah Tomlinson (age 60 - died 28 Nov 1758) and Samuel Tomlinson (age 69 - died 29 May 1767). No idea if they are somehow related to your Sudlows but it might provide a lead. ATB. Simon