Author Topic: William George Lockyer GS/63815 - Royal Fusiliers 4th Bn  (Read 1026 times)

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William George Lockyer GS/63815 - Royal Fusiliers 4th Bn
« on: Monday 20 May 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
William was a WW1 casualty, dying on 28 September 1917.  He does not appear on any official memorial. 
He was born in Cobham, Kent in 1877.  I have found him and his family on censuses but would like to find out about his war service and where the 4th Bn, Royal Fusiliers were on 28 September 1917.  The only record I can find is that he died in Belgium and probably should be on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
K8T

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William George Lockyer GS/63815 - Royal Fusiliers 4th Bn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
The battalion war diary is WO 95/1431/1 at the National Archives.  On 28 Sep 1917 they were in trenches just to the west of Zonnebeke,  map and image here:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.8745&lon=2.9789&layers=101464915&right=BingHyb

Hill 40 which can be seen in square D21 was to be attacked but this was cancelled.  The battalion took many casualties on 26 and 27 Sep manning the Bremen Redoubt (square D 20) which may have been actually when he was killed as the battalion left the line on 28 Sep.

His war gratuity indicates he joined in the month from 28 August 1916.

No medal or other record apparent but may be for shortage of time!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 03:04 BST (UK) »
Surely this must be him as plain William Lockyer (on CWGC)  died 20/9/1917 - reg.number 295348 (medal card shows 2 previous numbers), 4th. (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers).

Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Panel 52.

I realise this has date of death as 20th and not 28th but being in the same unit seems too much of a coincidence.  Is it possible you have wrong date or does the CWGC?  '0' and '8' being so similar has the date been transcribed incorrectly somewhere along the way.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
295348 William Lockyer on CWGC is the son of F Lockyer of Kipling Street Long Lane London SE1 (this comes from an enquiry card that has his number held by the Red Cross sent by his father asking about his "disappearance" on 21 Sep 1917 - no trace was found).  The other number for him is that which he had in a previous battalion, the 21st London.  Soldiers Died in the Great War has him coming from Bermondsey

K8T - can you confirm he was married to Caroline?  This will clarify the entry in the Register of Soldiers' Effects.

MaxD

PS  It is not only the name and near date that can confuse.  The CWGC man served in 2/4th (City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) which was a battalion of the London Regiment.  The one with number 63815 was in 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). 

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
Further

Medal card for 63815 William Lockyer Royal Fusiliers is at the National Archives https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3708709

The associated medal roll gives his overseas dates as 16 Dec 1916 to when he was killed in action 28 Sep 1917 (Adds up with enlisting Aug/Sep 1916)

Certainly, searching the CWGC site for his number or surname alone seems to confirm he has not been commemorated.  This can be followed up.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD, you've hit the nail on the head.  I have his medal rolls index card and have checked the other information and have come to the solution that he is not commemorated.

I really appreciate the war diary information from the Regiment, it helps pinpoint the battalion's movements.  William was indeed married to Caroline, his father was Thomas, so I knew he wasn't the person on the Menin Gate.

Annette7, the William on the Menin Gate was born in Bermondsey and he left his effects to his father, Frederick.  I had gone into both Williams and I have come to the conclusion that William Lockyer 63815 was missed off because of some administrative confusion relating to the names, Regiment, (although difference in battalion) and the dates being close. 

Thank you both for the time and effort you have put in, it is much appreciated.

K8T

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
You might like to check this out:

http://infromthecold.org/

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD.  We are in regular contact with CWGC.  We've had 2 recognised so far - one with 'a soldier of WW1' replaced with a named headstone and one in the process, but not any added to a memorial as yet.  Just getting the proof together can take some time.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
Well done you!!

Good luck with this one.
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk