Author Topic: Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - born 1877-78  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Smilingwillowb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - born 1877-78
« on: Tuesday 21 May 19 19:54 BST (UK) »
Charles Webber, of Barnstaple (not to be confused with Charles Webber, an auctioneer, also of Barnstaple), joined the Devonshire Regiment c.1897, served in India, and then went with his regiment to South Africa when the Boer War broke out. His rank was Private. He took part in several battles, and while taking part in the Devonshire's bayonet charge at Wagon Hill he was shot in the left knee with an explosive bullet.

After six weeks in hospital it was decided to amputate his leg, and he returned to Barnstaple in late July 1900, unmarried (according to the North Devon Journal), and aged 22.

He was granted an Army pension, and must have married, because his wife, Bessie Emma Webber, died on 10th March 1902, and the funeral was at Barnstaple Cemetery on 15th March 1902. She died at home - 33, Cyprus Terrace, Barnstaple, and she was aged 21.

Does anyone know where he is buried - Barnstaple Cemetery? Any other information on his life and death would be much appreciated.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Webber, of Barnstaple - born 1877-78
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 21:15 BST (UK) »
Charles Webber born 10/2/1878 (birth reg'd as Charley), bp.15/3/1878 Merton, Devon (as Charlie) - son of John Webber and Mary Smale married Sept.qtr.1868 Torrington,  Devon.

Charles married for a second time to Elizabeth Ann Wooldridge/Woodridge/Woolridge (Spelling changes from marriage and birth of 2 sons) in Mar.qtr.1905 Exeter:

2 children: William Frederick Charles bc.1907 and Herbert John bc.1910

Charles Webber's death June quarter 1940 Exeter.   

He does not appear to have spent long in Barnstaple so doubt he would have been buried there.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 08:13 BST (UK) »
Marriages Mar qtr 1901 
Bessie Emma Jago       
Charles Webber           
Barnstaple    5b   732   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 08:50 BST (UK) »
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Smilingwillowb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional info, Annette and rosie, much appreciated.

DOB7, thank you very much, that's a great resource. On a quick look-through of the three cemeteries, I didn't spot him, but will make a more thorough search.

Offline Smilingwillowb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
      I have additional information on Charles - in the 1911 census, he was living with wife and two children at the Soldiers' Home, Whipton, Heavitree, his occupation being Labour Master at a boys' reformatory, and army pensioner.
      The "Soldiers' Home" was most probably the Devonshire Regiment Cottage Homes, on Pinhoe Road, apparently still extant, but converted to two private residences (opposite the Sainsbury's Superstore). The "boys' reformatory" was probably the Devon and Exeter Reformatory Farm School for Boys, at Beacon Lane.
      His death certificate gives his date of death as 26th April 1940, aged 62; profession was "Gardener at Boys' Training School (retired)"; home address was 56 Park Road, Heavitree; cause of death was (a) Meningitis (b) Influenza; and the informant was H. J. Webber (son), of the same address.
      I can't find his burial listed in any of the three Exeter cemeteries, so now that I have his date of death I'll contact North Devon Council as to the possibility that he was buried at Barnstaple.