Author Topic: Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny WW1  (Read 720 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny WW1
« on: Wednesday 22 May 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Do the names Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny mean anything relating to WW1? My great-great-grandfather, Thomas Williams was also called Tommy Mammy in newspaper articles, which pre-date the war. But I also found reference in 1918 to Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny mentioned along with politicians. That reference I cannot link to my relative.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny WW1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 19 10:52 BST (UK) »
what were the newspaper articles about?
Why were they mentioned "along with politicians" ?
Could they be stage names?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Looking through newspaper articles regarding my great-great-grandfather, Thomas Williams, I also found he was called Tommy Mammy. Living in Laugharne, each census said he spoke English, but recently I found a very early record which said he spoke both English and Welsh. I then found a newspaper article in Welsh, that mentions Tommy Mammy, as well as Dai Nanny. My basic Welsh was able to pick out some words, but could not make sense of it, especially how Tommy Mammy relates to politicians. If that Tommy Mammy was Thomas Williams, he would be 80 at the time of publication and possibly living in the Union Workhouse, Llanelly.

The Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser . 17th May 1918 . News . p.4 .
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3679076/3679080/54/
I asked on the Wales page if someone could translate the basics.

The article referred to a "Wait-and-See Company", for which there are other newspaper articles in the Carmarthen Journal, but in English.

It turned out to be an argument in the House of Commons and not my relative. But it set me thinking about the names. As for my relative; Tommy Mammy, it pre-dates the First World War as I have found it used in the 1890s.

More out of curiosity, I am now wondering if Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny were derogatory terms for those in the war under age, or not wanting to fight. I have searched online looking for both relating to the war and found nothing. They could be Welsh terms, especially Dai Nanny.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
There were no derogatory names for boys joining under age. They were just sent back & told to re-join when they were old enough.
There were derogatory names for those refusing to fight the most common being conchies but as the name pre dates 1914 it's unlikely to be anything war related.
I would suggest putting this on the Carmarthen board as there might be someone with local knowledge of these names.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 19 22:49 BST (UK) »
Both Tommy Mammy and Dai Nanny were raised within the UK political arena in 1918. I cannot see either name being local to Carmarthenshire, or even Wales, in that context, even though the name Dai is associated with Wales.
Why my great-great-grandfather was also called Tommy Mammy, may be local, certainly as it pre-dated the war. During one court session, his mother attended and spoke on his behalf. That closeness may have been the reason.
My question was more to do with the war/political connection.