Author Topic: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard
« on: Thursday 23 May 19 00:04 BST (UK) »
I have noticed an interesting grave transcription, for Castlerickard Graveyard:

Gloria in Excelsis Deo
ERECTED BY
MARY NUGENT
TO THE MEMORY OF
HER BELOVED HUSBAND
JAMES NUGENT
WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE 25TH APRIL 1852
AGED 49 YEARS
MARY NUGENT DIED MARCH 16TH 1854 AGED
50 YEARS
THOMAS NUGENT DIED FEBy 4TH 1904 AGED
76 YEARS

There is a vague similarity to a family I am interested in, but can't say definitely whether it is them or not.

Here are some of the things I know: the family I am interested in lived in the townland of Rathcore, which seems perhaps about 5 or 6 miles away (would that be too far?).  Mary died approximately in 1855, but that is from someone saying it was 10 years ago in 1865, which could quite easily be 1854.  James died very approximately in 1835, but again this is someone saying 30 years ago, in 1865.  It occurs to me that the year of the death of James might possibly be greatly misread on the transcription.

They had a son named Thomas born about sometime in the 1820s, so he is about the right age.  i don't know what happened to him.  Only that he was alive in 1865.  I had heard a rumor that he went to America, but this is unreliable.  They had another son named John (the eldest), who by rumor was said to have gone to America too, and he didn't.  John died in 1901, and he was slightly older.  I read the rumor in a book, but I don't know what it is based on, maybe oral history.  The book was called The 1865 Rathcore Evictions by Colin Rayfus, 2015.

I don't definitely know where John is buried, but, assuming with his wife (who died first), then he is elsewhere, in Kilshanroe in Kildare. (but he was living in Kildare)  But his wife has a tombstone, in fact also on the stone is their son James, one of the few other "James Nugents" that come up in a search of graveyards around Enfield.   As far as I know, James and Mary only had two children, John and Thomas.  I feel at least fairly confident they had no other sons who grew to adulthood.

One question would be could this Mary Nugent who died in March 1854 be on Griffith's published in 1854?  Mine definitely is.

Another question is could they be buried in this graveyard?  There was one in Rathcore, virtually adjacent to their property, but this one is about 5-6 miles away.  I wonder if anyone can figure if anyone from Rathcore is buried in it - it is confusing, and I'm not sure how to look at other graves, without searching for a name. 

There is an old Nugent grave in Rathcore, unknown if connected.  Though, the name Robert is not a family name in the Nugent line, as far as I know.

How likely is it the same family?  Or can anyone distinguish this family in some other way?

I can't seem to definitely find this Thomas on the 1901 census.  He almost certainly would have been born in Meath, as that is where John was born, and where his family lived.  But none close in age come up, as having been born there.  Maybe, he was not counted.

There is a picture of the stone, but I cannot read it, at all.
http://www.enfieldgraveyards.com/Gravestone.aspx?GravestoneID=2439

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Nugent Gravestone in Castlerickard Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 19 00:39 BST (UK) »
My Mary Nugent appears on the Field Books for 1838 in Rathcore.  No James seems to come up for Rathcore Parish or Moyfenrath Lower Baroney, and I am confident that my James Nugent was dead by that year.

By some measure of luck, I also determined that my Mary appears on the Tenure books for March 1853 (though the county is wrong), and no other Mary appears for the barony.

I have almost convinced myself, but not all the way.  If they were separate folks, might they exist, have a grave stone, and still not appear?

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 19 00:43 BST (UK) »
Castlerickard seems to possibly be in a separate barony: Upper Moyfenrath.  But, when I search it, no Mary or James.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
Okay, I am pretty sure I found Thomas on the census and his death, though I think his age is wrong on both.

On the 1901 census, he is in Mahonstown, in Westmeath.  Age is given as 62.  Unmarried, but from Meath.  Death record gives a near exact match on date.  1904 January 5th.  65 years old.

Well, Mahonstown is plenty far away compared to Rathcore, so that makes me a bit more confident.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:25 BST (UK) »
I was looking at that death this morning but didn't have time to post it, by the time I came back I'd completely forgotten about it.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05635/4585761.pdf

He's in the Will Calendar's second from the bottom on left
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014913/005014913_00469.pdf

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:29 BST (UK) »
Okay, I am pretty sure I found Thomas on the census and his death, though I think his age is wrong on both.

On the 1901 census, he is in Mahonstown, in Westmeath.  Age is given as 62.  Unmarried, but from Meath.  Death record gives a near exact match on date.  1904 January 5th.  65 years old.

Well, Mahonstown is plenty far away compared to Rathcore, so that makes me a bit more confident.

February not January see the way he writes J on death 127

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:38 BST (UK) »
Re the Anne Donegan named in the Will Calendar
This needs checking out
There is an Anne Donegan husband James
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Meath/Innfield/Newcastle/1621471/
youngest daughter Anne
There is a Anne Donegan born to a James and Anne Nugent
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03544/2145449.pdf

Fairly sure Enfield and Innfield are the same place

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:45 BST (UK) »
Wow, this quite an interesting line, Sinann!   I am quite impressed.

You are right about Innfield and Enfield, I know because my grandmother was born there.  Actually, quite interestingly, John lived there at the time of his marriage in 1866.

I wonder if this women could be a sister to John and Thomas.  I only fairly confident that they did not have any brothers.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 May 19 16:59 BST (UK) »
Oh, ho!  I might have found something!  I thought I recognized the name "Anne Walsh" who reported the birth you linked, so I went looking through the birth records of John's children.  One of them, Luke born in 1877 was reported by an Anne Walsh from Enfield.  Luke was born in Gurteen, Kildare.