Author Topic: Looking back on genealogy and privacy from the Year 2100  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Looking back on genealogy and privacy from the Year 2100
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 May 19 09:36 BST (UK) »
You know more about my curmudgeonly ancestors than I do!  I wouldn't put it past them.

Martin

Online chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 May 19 12:41 BST (UK) »
I fear that if I was a genealogist in 2100 I'd be befuddled by the records from recent times - people marrying at ranoom times after their children were born. or not at all, and giving them either the mother's surname, or the father's (if named at all), or double-barrelling them. Same-sex couples having children, even two men - how do you find the other parent? Marriages not listed because they happened abroad - Las Vegas seems popular.

I know we can have these problems with our relatives, but it was less common then.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 May 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention surrogate parents, gender changing, IVF where the doner turns out to be the doctor and more. I'd hate to be a teenager these days, you never know what you're letting yourself in for when you meet somebody.  I am sure that in years and generations to come we will hear a lot more about couples turning out to be closer related than they ever imagined possible.

I am strongly in favour of science, progress and trying new things, but just because we can do it doesn't mean we should do it.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 May 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
I'd hate to be a teenager these days, you never know what you're letting yourself in for when you meet somebody.  I am sure that in years and generations to come we will hear a lot more about couples turning out to be closer related than they ever imagined possible.
Martin

Maybe we need to implement the Icelandic system. They have an app that young people can use to assess how closely they are related before dating.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn