Author Topic: Seeking assistance to find birthplace of Irish ancestor Ann Sharkey  (Read 3562 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking assistance to find birthplace of Irish ancestor Ann Sharkey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 12:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have that thanks. Unfortunately Mayberry and the other convict paperwork I have do not list native place or place of birth. I have ordered a copy of her application to marry so i’m hoping it will be in that. Otherwise it will remain a mystery, I fear.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
On find my past, family search and Ancestry Ann is down as Ann SHURKEY marriage to William Herbert

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, the spelling varies. She couldn’t sign her name, which doesn’t help. The church register for the marriage does look like Shurkey, but most of the musters and ship lists etc have her as Sharkey. The Colonial Secretary’s Index with her application for permission to marry has her as Sharkey. I’ll be interested to see what her actual application says when it arrives from NSW Archives (just as I’ll be interested to see if her gives her place of birth). But of course, since she couldn’t write, even that will be someone else’s interpretation of the spelling. But thanks for your thoughts. Geoff.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:01 BST (UK) »
Re the Wexford aspect, this site http://www.bellsite.id.au/gdbtree/HTMLFiles/HTMLFiles_08/P40925.html#Source6  lists birth as Wexford and lists source reference, have you checked same?

.   Events in Ann SHARKEY (1786 - 1860)'s life
Date   Age   Event   Place   Notes   Src
abt 1786      Ann SHARKEY was born   Wexford, Ireland      6
1817   31   Immigration   Australia   per 'Canada'   6
1818   32   Married William HERBERT (aged 41)   Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia      6
1820   34   Birth of daughter Mary Ann HERBERT   Sydney, New South Wales, Australia      6
1824   38   Birth of son William Campbell HERBERT   Sydney, New South Wales, Australia      6
1826   40   Birth of son John HERBERT   Sydney, New South Wales, Australia      6
1826   40   Birth of son Thomas HERBERT   Sydney, New South Wales, Australia      6
1830   44   Birth of son Michael HERBERT   Sydney, New South Wales, Australia      6
25 Oct 1857   71   Death of husband William HERBERT (aged 80)   Naas, New South Wales, Australia      6
21 Feb 1860   74   Ann SHARKEY died   Naas, New South Wales, Australia      6
Source References:
6. Type: Book, Abbr: Queanbeyan Register, Title: Biographical register of Canberra and Queanbeyan: from the district to the Australian Capital Territory 1820-1930, Auth: Peter Proctor, Publ: The Heraldry & Genealogical Society of Canberra, Date: 2001
- Reference = 282 (Immigration)
- Reference = 144 (Marriage)
- Reference = 282 (Death)
- Reference = 282 (Birth)
- Reference = 144 (Name,       
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that explains where the Wexford reference comes from. I have a friend in Canberra working with me on this and I will check if she knows the book that is cited. All the other material on the link you gave me matches things I have, so that's promising. I found out today that there was an early Irish settler in the Naas Valley named Thomas Shanahan who possibly predated William Herbert and Ann Sharkey. Perhaps Shanahan was from Naas and named it after his home place. All very interesting and thank you to everyone who has helped steer me along the way. Geoff.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 14:51 BST (UK) »
Very interesting. I started looking but it's almost midnight here so it's a job for tomorrow. Thanks again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 June 19 06:02 BST (UK) »
The convict application to marry has now arrived from NSW Archives. It does not give a place of birth and has the wrong ship of arrival -- it says the Friendship but I have several sources saying she came on the Canada (4) from Cork. I thought I should share it for those interested but unfortunately the file size must have been too big.