Author Topic: Thomas Fowke of Little Aston  (Read 761 times)

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Fowke of Little Aston
« on: Thursday 23 May 19 15:27 BST (UK) »
     Hello, I was looking for additional information on Thomas Fowke, gentleman, of Little Aston in Coldfield, in the parish of Shenstone, including his parents, siblings, and children. According to the Brewood parish register, he married Elizabeth "Skevington" (Skeffington) on July 13, 1563. She was the daughter of William Skeffington of Fisherwick (c1512-1551) and Joan Leveson (d. 1572). Her younger half-brother was Roger Fowke of Brewood. I do not know whom the parents of Thomas were, but he is probably a member of this Fowke family of Brewood and Gunston.
     Little Aston was purchased by the Fowke family in 1574, and Thomas Fowke made his will on July 14, 1585, naming five sons, Edward, Roger, John, William, and underage Thomas. Roger Fowke is named as a "farmer" of Moss in Shenstone, in Exchequer records from 1596-1602, and as a "gentleman" owning Little Aston in 1608. Little Aston was sold to the Ducie family in 1621, and I do not know what became of this family after that, can anyone please help?

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Fowke of Little Aston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 May 19 17:59 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 May 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
    Thank You, Hepburn, that is certainly Thomas Fowke of Aston on page 170, with the Fowke family of Brewood and Gunston that I believe he is a member of. His brother-in-law Roger Fowke of Brewood is on page 171, who married his 4th cousin Joan Fowke of Gunston, and had Thomas Fowke (c1582-1652). However, the supposition by the author of this work, the Reverend Henry Sanders, that this Thomas Fowke of Brewood is Thomas Fowke of Aston on that same page must be wrong, as Thomas Fowke of Aston has been proven to have married Elizabeth Skeffington at Brewood on July 13, 1563, and made his will July 14, 1585, which would mean Thomas Fowke of Aston must have lived a full generation before Thomas Fowke of Brewood. Thomas Fowke of Aston would actually be the uncle of Thomas Fowke of Brewood, because he was married to the half-sister of Roger Fowke, Elizabeth Skeffington. Roger Fowke and Elizabeth Skeffington shared the same mother, Joan Leveson.

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 May 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
    This is a bit of a squeeze, especially when working without definite dates, and some kind soul on RootsChat may be able to prove or disprove this, but near the top of page 172 of the link that hepburn has provided, (4.) Thomas Fowke of Gunston may be the father of Thomas Fowke of Aston, as he has a son Thomas identified here as the father of Richard. This appears to be a mistake of the author, the Rev. Henry Sanders, as in all of the other Fowke pedigrees this son Thomas is the brother of Richard, not his father. However, Richard is the son of a Thomas Fowke, the common father of both him and brother Thomas. I realize, of course, that the Rev. Henry Sanders was doing the best research for the time that he lived in, the late 18th century, and these very old works can provide useful hints when used with caution, and with supplementary sources. It is certainly not my intent to disparage him, only to learn from him, and all others. Besides, in his defense, Thomas and Roger are very common personal names in this family, hence the confusion, even now.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at FreeReg...Quite a few baptisms for Fowkes in Brewood.

https://www.freereg.org.uk/
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thank You, hepburn, they do have a lot from about 1570 on. Going by his wedding date of July 13, 1563, I would estimate the birth year of Thomas Fowke of Aston as about 1540, does that seem right?

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
I have been using FreeReg for Brewood and various other places in Staffordshire, searching for Thomas Fowke, and the earliest date they have is the wedding date for Thomas Fowke, Gent., and Mary "Skevington", July 13, 1563, at St Mary the Virgin and St Chad, the family church of the Fowke family of Brewood.