Author Topic: Looking for the marriage of Thomas BIGG/BIGGS, circa 1780  (Read 1347 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for the marriage of Thomas BIGG/BIGGS, circa 1780
« on: Thursday 23 May 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hello

I’m looking for the marriage of a Thomas BIGG or BIGGS to a Mary circa 1780. There appears to be only one child from this marriage, Thomas, who was baptised in Hughenden.

I’m assuming that even if his parents didn’t get married in Hughenden, they may have got married in a neighbouring parish.

Any information gratefully received.

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the marriage of Thomas BIGG/BIGGS, circa 1780
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 May 19 00:09 BST (UK) »
Do either of the parents survive until the 1851 census? A birthplace for either might help?
If they were ag labs they may have moved further afield. Neighbouring counties might need to be checked as well.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 May 19 20:49 BST (UK) »
Do either of the parents survive until the 1851 census? A birthplace for either might help?
If they were ag labs they may have moved further afield. Neighbouring counties might need to be checked as well.

No, Thomas was born c.1759 and died in 1808. Not sure when Mary died (or, indeed, when and where she was born). I don’t know what his occupation was, but his father John, according to the information I have, was a bricklayer.

I’m looking for this marriage mainly so I can find out what Mary’s maiden name was.

Martin

BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 19 21:04 BST (UK) »
All I can say is, the marriage never occured in Hughenden, Bradenham, nor Princes Risborough.

BucksFHS marriage search could be helpful, 100 year search for £1. Contact via facebook, in the first instance.

The Bucks marriages/Banns/Licence in FindMyPast is very useful. ;)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 May 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
I've now got a number of 100-year searches, but they're not a lot of help - can't find the marriage in any of the parishes neighbouring Hughenden (e.g. West Wycombe), and, for that matter, I can't find Thomas's baptism in the right time and place...  ???

Martin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 00:08 BST (UK) »
Where was Thomas senior buried?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 June 19 21:31 BST (UK) »
Where was Thomas senior buried?

Sorry for the delay in replying - was waiting for a reply from someone I'd asked that question on Ancestry. She says he was buried in West Wycombe on 27 January 1808.

Martin

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 June 19 00:11 BST (UK) »
I would concentrate your searches around West Wycombe if I were you.
And consider spelling variations.