Author Topic: Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up  (Read 3974 times)

Offline ScottishAncestors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up
« on: Friday 24 May 19 02:23 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if some kind person could look up a birth record for me.

My Scottish ancestor, Sylvinia Emily Adams was born 1850 - 1855 in Aberdeen, Scotland.
Sylvinia states in her marriage certificate (1876 Queensland, Australia) that she was born around this time in Aberdeen, Scotland and that her parents names were James Adams (occupation: Farmer) and Jane Elizabeth McLean (could also be Janet).
I have spent several years searching for any type of record for her, but to no avail so far.
Adams is a main branch in my family history, but this has created a huge brick wall in my research.
If anyone can help, I would be so grateful.

Thank you.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 May 19 02:38 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if some kind person could look up a birth record for me.

My Scottish ancestor, Sylvinia Emily Adams was born 1850 - 1855 in Aberdeen, Scotland.
Sylvinia states in her marriage certificate (1876 Queensland, Australia) that she was born around this time in Aberdeen, Scotland and that her parents names were James Adams (occupation: Farmer) and Jane Elizabeth McLean (could also be Janet).
I have spent several years searching for any type of record for her, but to no avail so far.
Adams is a main branch in my family history, but this has created a huge brick wall in my research.
If anyone can help, I would be so grateful.

Thank you.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeen - Adams - Birth record look up
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 May 19 03:47 BST (UK) »

"..Jane Elizabeth McLean (could also be Janet)."  Where do you see her as Janet?

BDM QLD
1876   C745    Sylvinia Emily ADAMS   marr.   John James CARLTON

BDM QLD births
1880   C3213   Ethel Frances   CARLTON  parents    John James / Sulvina Emily Adams
1882   B29184   Janet May           CARLTON   parents     John James / Sylvinia Emily Adams
1885   B35002   Florence Eva   CARLTON   parents     John James / Sylvinia Emily Adams
1889   B42597   Marion Carnegie   CARLTON   parents   John James /Sylvinia Emily Adams

Can you please list all the information on the marriage certificate, 1876.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 19 05:36 BST (UK) »

BDM QLD birth
1874   B17240   George   ADAMS  parents  - /    Solvina Emily ADAMS

BDM QLD death
1875   B9093   George   ADAMS  parents   - /    Silvia Emily ADAMS
 ** born Brisbane aged 11 months

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 May 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi ScottishAncestors and welcome to Rootschat.

My initial thoughts are that Sylvinia Emily are very striking and unusual names for Aberdeenshire in the 1850s,  and I wonder if these were her birth names  :-\  ??
Do you have any idea when Sylvinia arrived on Australia?
Another point - her daughter's name Marion Carnegie is interesting- that sounds very Scottish.....maybe named after a grandmother or aunt ?? Might be a red herring but could be a useful clue.

Looby  ;)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 May 19 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

On all the records I have found for Sylvinia Emily Adams, she has been consistent in stating that she was born in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  Her birth years on all records range from 1850 to 1855.  The actual names of her parents on her marriage certificate are James Adams (a farmer) and Jane Elizabeth McLean.  I mentioned Janet as I know that this is more common than Jane in Scotland.

When Sylvinia came to Australia there was also a G. W. Adams, a Catherine Adams and one other Adams that I cannot recall just now, on the same ship.  They may possibly be related to her, maybe not.  I have not been able to make a connection between them, and they were all in different classes on the boat, so possibly not related.  The archives in Queensland stated they do not have the individual passenger papers anymore as they had been lost or never kept.

Yes, I've always thought that Sylvinia was always an interesting name for someone supposedly born in Scotland.  I've never seen it used there, other than my ancestor's name.

This particular ancestor is proving to be very elusive before she came to Australia.  I am hoping that some day I will be able to get a lead however, as Adams is a main branch of my family tree.  It is rather disappointing to run in to a brick wall so early on this branch.  I cannot find a birth record, nor does she appear on any census in Scotland before arriving in Australia.

The only other lead I have had, is a couple who have the same names as Sylvinia's parents, who were married in Barony in 1850, then moved with their children to the USA, settling in Alabama.  However, there is no record of a child with the name of Sylvinia being born to them.  Still, they have the correct names and correct time of marriage.

LOOBY, I too have wondered if Sylvinia was actually her true birth name.  Her children's names are mostly taken from her husband's family, except for Janet.  The only child that had a different name was the little boy, George, she had before she married.  I can only imagine that it must have been a difficult and sad situation for her being a very young, single girl, in a new country.  On the ship the young girls had a chaperone and when they first arrived in Australia, but after that they were on their own for the most part.  The little boy died before the age of one, and a few years later Sylvinia met and married her husband.

Sylvinia arrived in Rockhampton, Australia on 19 November, 1870, on the ship Royal Dane.

Thank you to both of you, loobylooayr and wivenhoe.  All are very good suggestions and points.  I know there is a chance, depending on the exact year that Sylvinia was born, that I may never find a birth record for her.  There are so many James Adams' in Aberdeen also, that were farmers.  The James (Mc)Adam I found who married a Janet McLean were the ones who moved to the USA.  I haven't found another couple with those names so far.

Wivenhoe, the other information on the marriage certificate is as follows;
Date: 26th September, 1876, Rockhampton, Queensland.  Names: John James Carlton (Bachelor) Liverpool, Lancashire, England, and Sylvinia Emily Adams, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland (Spinster).  Married in the house of Hugh Lawbie Morton, Kent Street, Rockhampton according to the rites and ceremonies of the Presbyterian Church.  John Carlton was an iron moulder, Sylvinia was a domestic servant.  Both state their ages to be 21.  Place of residence: Rockhampton.  Parents names: James Carlton and Mary Peebles, James Adams and Jane Elizabeth McLean.  Fathers professions:  Iron dresser (Carlton), Farmer (Adams).

Sylvinia is the mystery person in my family tree.  I have often thought that she must have another name, or a different birth place.

I appreciate all the help and comments.  Thank you, all.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 May 19 05:25 BST (UK) »
post deleted..... was chasing the wrong Sylvinia  ::)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 May 19 08:04 BST (UK) »
QLD BDM birth
1874   B17240   George   ADAMS   parents  - /    Solvina Emily ADAMS

QLD BDM death
1875   B9093   George   ADAMS parents    - / Silvia Emily ADAMS
 ** born Brisbane aged 11 months

1896   B29086   Sylvinia Emily   CARLTON  parents    James ADAMS / Jane Elizabeth McLEAN

Do you have the birth certificate for George ADAMS born 1874. Can you please list all the information on the document.

Do you have the death certificate for Sylvinia Emily CARLTON, died 1896. Can you please list all the information on the document.

From the marriage certificate, 1876, what names do you see for witnesses.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 May 19 08:19 BST (UK) »

"..On all the records I have found for Sylvinia Emily Adams, she has been consistent in stating that she was born in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. "

What records have you found. Can you be specific please.