Author Topic: Religious info needed please  (Read 947 times)

Offline molly78

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Religious info needed please
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 09:40 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can get info on missionary work carried out in the Birkenhead area? I have an ancestor who worked in Tranmere as a Presbyterian missionary/preacher who had arrived from Glasgow c1870.
The odd thing is, is that he was a ship carpenter in his former life! I suspect that the church he reported to had him posted in this area and he duly moved down with his family and settled near St Catherine's church. By 1881, he had moved over to Liverpool and was there for about 20yrs before retiring to Hampshire-possibly this was another "post".
Also, under what circumstances would a worker become such a missionary-in the 1860's in Scotland, was there recruitment for this kind of work?

Any help appreciated

Molly
Pashby-Levisham
Hammond-Whitby, Yorks
Price-Ellesmere Port, Ches
Preston-Liverpool

Offline donna-paul

• RootsChat Senior
  • just luvvin' tree huggin'
    • View Profile
Re: Religious info needed please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 09:49 BST (UK) »
molly i dont know the answer to your question but i would be interested to know it !!
my gt gt grandfather was a missionary (methodist i think )
from the ratcliffe area of london c1900 but at one point was a boot sales man  ??? ???

i also know that at about 1860-ish some of his family were living elsewhere but can find no sign of him in that census as of yet !!
so good luck
donna x
baldwin- west ham
brookes- west ham
burrell- hornchurch/romford
camp- west ham
davis- west ham, romford
fraas- london
harvey- surrey/london
gilbert - west ham/london
parry - london
rogers- west ham/london