Author Topic: 'Husband' as profession  (Read 1140 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Husband' as profession
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 02:14 BST (UK) »
Term still being used in Australia in 1955  :D

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/123143491

Mr. McRae impressed me as a good husbandman. He does not put sheep, including lambs, on to
grazing oats until 11 a.m., and takes them off before 4.30 p.m., thus avoiding digestive and other troubles.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 07:46 BST (UK) »
My 2x great was a yeoman on his marriage licence (1820) but became an Ag lab by the 1841 cemsus. The family owned farm land and properties on the Welsh/Shropshire border. After his father's death, his mother and eldest brother sold most of it in the 1820s - I have copies of the deeds of sale.  He was the youngest son.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 16:12 BST (UK) »
In my lot, as far as I could tell, "husbandman" tended to be used where stock - cattle or sheep - were involved, and often instead of farm labourer, where Dad was listed as the resident farmer.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)