Author Topic: 'Husband' as profession  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
'Husband' as profession
« on: Monday 27 May 19 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I was just looking at some parish baptism records from 1803 in the Halifax region. Each record lists the name of child, name of father and what appears to be the profession. Quite a lot of the other men listed have professions too, carpenter, draper etc so I'm fairly certain that is the information I'm looking at.

My ancestor is listed as 'Husband' under his profession. Others in the register are too.

Would that mean like a Shepard or a pig keeper or something as in animal husbandry?

I've tried searching online and unfortunately all I seem to get are articles about how to get a husband which isn't what I'm after at the moment.  :D

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Husband' as profession
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 May 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
I would think it would be Husbandman, as you suggest, -

A husbandman in England in the medieval and early modern period was a free tenant farmer or small landowner. The social status of a husbandman was below that of a yeoman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husbandman

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 19 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Gadget :)
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 00:19 BST (UK) »
I've never seen the term used so "recently" before. Very interesting.
Is it a small parish,  or rural location?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 00:24 BST (UK) »
I've never seen the term used so "recently" before. Very interesting.
Is it a small parish,  or rural location?

It was still being used in 1848:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=120757.0
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget.
This is what I love about our hobby, always something new to learn.
And this is what I love about Rootschat,  always someone helpful and informative.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 01:02 BST (UK) »
Looking at some Lancashire parish marriage registers, it seems to have fallen out of use in 1840s. There was a distinction in those registers between husbandman and farmer. Some husbandmen may have been farm labourers.
Cowban

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 01:11 BST (UK) »
Most of my rural ancestors are from further south,  and the term seems to have been replaced with the more generic "farmer" in the 18th century in records I've seen.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 01:50 BST (UK) »
Mine were still husbandmen in 18thC. I noticed with one line that they were husbandman in registers at marriage and when their elder children were born and yeoman later, after succeeding to father's tenancy, or acquiring a tenancy another way. However father and son were both labelled 'husbandman' on Return of Papists 1767.
One church marriage register I looked at changed from 'husbandman' to 'agricultural labourer' in Summer 1841. I wondered if the curate had acted as a census enumerator for 1841 census and become used to writing 'ag. lab.'. Curates at the other parishes were still writing 'husbandman' 1845-1847.
I came across 'plod weaver' as a common 18thC occupation in another Lancashire parish. It means plaid weaver.
Cowban