Author Topic: What became of the King siblings? Great Yarmouth after 1851  (Read 1719 times)

Online jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of the King siblings? Great Yarmouth after 1851
« on: Tuesday 28 May 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I am doing some sideways digging on an ancestor's siblings and can't find the fates of four of them.

I am therefore wondering and hoping if anyone might please be able to have a look with a pair of fresh eyes to find them.

My ancestors Thomas John/John Thomas King (1811-1884) and Sarah Pritty/King (1810-1888) married in Yarmouth on 20 April 1836.

They had the following children, the first two being born before their marriage. The children I am looking to find the fates of are 1, 2, 3 and 9.

1. Samuel King (1834–aft 1851). Baptised 2 May 1834 Great Yarmouth (As Samuel son of John & Sarah King). In the 1851 census he is with his parents and siblings at Row No. 138, Yarmouth. He was a seaman.

2. William John Pritty/John William 'William' King (1836–aft 1851). Born in Southwold and baptised 2 March 1836 at Yarmouth as William John Pretty King. Named as William on 1841 census and John W. on 1851 census. He then is with his parents and siblings at Row No. 138, Yarmouth. Like his elder brother Samuel he was also a seaman.

3. Daniel King (1838–aft 1851). Born 9 March 1838 at Yarmouth and baptised there 29 May 1839. In the 1851 census he is with his parents and siblings at Row No. 138, Yarmouth. He was an Apprentice Smith.

4. Rosetta Sarah 'Sarah' King/Durrant (1841–1921)

5. Francis King (1843–1922). My ancestor.

6. Thomas King (1845–1846)

7. Thomas King (1847–1848)

8. Lydia King/Crome/Roberts (1849–1927)

9. Hannah King (1851–aft 1881). She was born on 14 October 1851 at Row 137, Great Yarmouth. She is last found in the 1881 census with her parents and nephews and nieces at 5 Boreham Road, Great Yarmouth. She was a Charwoman. Also in the house is a six month old Ellen King. I can't find more about Ellen and wonder if she was Hannah's illegitimate daughter.
I previously identified her as being the Hannah King who married Walter Shreeve in Yarmouth 14 August 1887. However that marriage shows this Hannah was the daughter of William Greenacre and thus widow of James King who she married as Hannah Maria King in 1871.

I really would like to try and find out what happened to Samuel, John William, Daniel and Hannah so if anyone can please help me I would be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What became of the King siblings? Great Yarmouth after 1851
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 June 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello
There was a large contingent of Kings from Winterton on Sea, some were married and mved/lived in Gt Yarmouth.  I have quite a good record in the C19th, however, i've had a quick look to see any matches to the info you have above and found nothing.  Kindest regards Chris Graham

Online jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 June 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for looking, Chris.

I have now found Samuel King in the seamen records as being at sea in 1851, 1852 and 1853.

He seems to have made the return journey in 1853 but then no more journeys after that in his service record.

Presumably he died in 1853 or stopped being a mariner. I do hope I find out. To have an ancestor with 4 siblings of unknown fates for the 19th century is unusual in my tree.

Thanks again for looking and all for now,
Jon

Offline dr_chris_graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 19 19:14 BST (UK) »
Quite probable died at sea as it was a dangerous occupation,  the fishermen around Caister on Sea/Winterton often drowned.  Around that time one version of the family history had one seaman die further afield in Indonesia whereas another has him die around the goodwin sands: 

John Derry King (Abel4, Abel3, Benjamin2, Jno1)
B 17 June 1809 Winterton, d Abt. 1850 in Sea, Sulawesi Tengah, Indonesia.  Baptism: 18 Jun 1809, Winterton NFK

Offline Amandg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 May 22 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, not sure exactly whom I am replying to but I am a direct descendent of Thomas John King, Shipwright, of Gt Yarmouth.  My great grandfather was one of the 5 Crome children living with him in 1881.  His mother Lydia King/Crome married again after her husband died.  G Grandfather, despite having to sweep the school each morning to pay his fee became a master mariner and used to write letters to the Yarmouth Mercury from far flung ports describing his childhood - Birth in the Rows;  Life in a Peggotty Hut, from which his father sold shrimps; The painting of his father's (HMS) ship on the hut wall, the demolition of the hut in 1879 soon followed by his father's death cutting ice on Breydon Water. The Mercury kindly sent some of the published letters back to my sister a few decades ago.
There seem to be several brave Thomas Kings from Yarmouth: one serving on the Titanic and another on Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar - not sure if we are related - In all of my family tree the King family is the most complicated and hard to follow story I have tackled (and I like a puzzle).
But of course they were all brave - living in massively overcrowded houses, working in dangerous waters, or the silk factory ...
Thank you for all the very useful info, Amanda

Online jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Amanda.

Great to hear from you. I would love to hear more about these amazing letters!

My great great grandfather was Francis King born in 1843 who was your Lydia's brother.

Francis was a shipwright and came to London in the 1860s and actually named a daughter Lydia King in 1869. Sadly, she died as a baby.

I however knew about her as Francis' granddaughter (my great aunt Anne) told me about baby Lydia in the late 1990s.

I will privately message you my email address now.

Thanks again for replying,
Jon

Online jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 22 16:52 BST (UK) »
In all of my family tree the King family is the most complicated and hard to follow story I have tackled (and I like a puzzle).
But of course they were all brave - living in massively overcrowded houses, working in dangerous waters, or the silk factory ...
Thank you for all the very useful info, Amanda

Also, this previous rootschat post of mine should help you with the King family!

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747233.0

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 22 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Daniel King living at 4 Brewer Street, Tower Hamlets, London in 1861. Born Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk He is a lodger in the house of Christiana Griffith. Occupation =Seaman.
 (Sorry am not tech savvy enough to provide a link)
Also a David King in Farnham in 1871 born Gt Yarmouth 1835 at the military base. Possible mis transcription of first name. Maybe different person but worth mentioning just in case.

Regards

B
Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
This may be Daniel in 1861
4 Monmouth Street Shadwell - Harriet Mason Lodging House Keeper born Norfolk

Daniel King 21 Merchant Mariner born Yarmouth
also lodging are
William Warner/Varner 23  Merchant Mariner born Norfolk
William Green 20 Merchant Mariner born Norfolk
Plus 3 other Merchant Mariners

Listed on ancestry under assisted passengers to Sydney Australia he is actually a crew member
15 August 1864 26 born Yarmouth  ship Northam O S (Ordinary Seaman)

The again 17 May 1865 of Great Britain - ship Northam  O.S.
----
There is a death 1914 of a Daniel King father John in Australia

A search of Trove might find other clues.