Author Topic: Froggatt family - musicians and militia  (Read 796 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Froggatt family - musicians and militia
« on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:05 BST (UK) »
I am continuing on my quest to unravel my 3x gt grandmother's confusing early life (see here for an earlier thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742598.0).

One of her relationships seems to have been with a Richard Froggatt/Froggitt, sometime Professor of Music.  I have found him and his family on the 1841 census in Spitalfields.  Richard's father, also called Richard, gives his profession as musician, a job that seems rather incongruous when surrounded by dressmakers, silk weavers, laundresses etc! HO107; Piece 710; Folio 36; Page 20

In 1851, Richard senior is still a Musician, but I think it also says Sergeant Militia.  This time the family is in Limehouse (HO107; Piece 1554; Folio 170; Page 50).  Richard junior is also describing himself as a musician, as is the second eldest son, Jack.  Neither of them link to the militia in their job description.

From what I understand, the militia at this time were a bit like today's Territorial Army - you were required to do a certain amount of training etc every year, and could be called upon to serve when required, but that you would be expected to have a 'normal' job which would be your main source of income.  Was this any different for a musician in the militia?  And if you weren't in the militia, but giving your profession as a musician, would theatre halls and concerts have been your main source of income?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Froggatt family - musicians and militia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
Life for a musician in the Militia wouldn't have been any different from a rifleman.
It's quite possible he used the opportunity to practice with the band.
Military bands were very popular & I'm sure they had several engagements throughout the year.
His day job would have to have been reasonable local in order to fulfil his contract with the Militia.
It's again possible father & sons were in the same band playing at local venues, dances etc.
It's unusual for someone to list his occupation as being in the Militia so must have been a large part of his life at that time.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
The London Evening Standard of 2 October 1852 (page 4) has an item about an assault on Serjeant Froggett of the Tower Hamlets militia.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 13:14 BST (UK) »
It's unusual for someone to list his occupation as being in the Militia so must have been a large part of his life at that time.

This statement above, coupled with the info from the report that Shaun J found, makes me wonder whether Richard Froggatt/Froggitt/Froggett was a recruiting officer and so perhaps would have had a greater connection with the militia than would otherwise be usual.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
As a musician it would in my view be that it was the likely involvement in the band that took up much of his time.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 16:38 BST (UK) »
I'm trying not to get too sucked into a family that I'm not really certain are connected to us, but I have just found Richard Froggatt senior's baptism.  On that record, his father gives his profession as Drum Major - so it does look as if musicianship and the army is in the blood!!