Author Topic: My Grandfather During WW1  (Read 2915 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
My Grandfather During WW1
« on: Wednesday 29 May 19 17:18 BST (UK) »
The man seated on the right is my grandfather, Tom Smith, from Middlesbrough, who served with the Northumberland Fusiliers during WW1. I believe the photograph might have been taken during his time in Gallipoli - is it possible to confirm ( or otherwise) by what they are wearing. The young man on the left, who looks too young to be smoking, or to have joined the army, seems to be wearing shorts.
I have no idea who the other two men are, nor can I make the shadowy person in the background any clearer.

Thanks,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Grandfather During WW1
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry but it is not 1915.  It's much later at the end of the war as one man has 4 overseas service chevrons on one arm that date it to 1918/19.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:34 BST (UK) »
They appear to be in India, Malta or Egypt by the tropical dress.

If he was at Gallipoli with the NF then he was with the 8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Newcastle in August 1914 and moved to Gallipoli in July 1915. Went to Egypt in January 1916 and thence to France in July 1916.

He  may have transferred to another Bn when the photo was taken as there is not any regimental badges being worn.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:43 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention but the large inverted chevron on his left arm is a Good Conduct badges which could be earned by regular soldiers before the war, and by all soldiers during the war. The qualifying periods were 2 years, 5, 12, 18 and beyond.

This suggests that the photo must date after August 1916 or even later. Add in the overseas service chevrons on his other arm which were only approved for wear in Dec 1917 and you get a 1918 date.

If he was still with the NF in 1918 then he was either with the 1st Garrison Battalion which
Formed in August 1915 and went to Malta or the 2nd Garrison Battalion
Formed in Newcastle in October 1915 and went to India. It was at Ahmednagar in 1917 and 1918.  Alternatively the 2/7th Battalion on 20 January 1917 sailed for Egypt for duty as a Garrison Battalion.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
Oh and the leather belt is from 1914 leather equipment.  So confirms a war raised battalion.  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30015833

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, this is all really helpful.

I have another photograph of him, in a group of the 10th Battalion NF.

I know that he was in Ireland at one point, possibly in 1916 but that he was also overseas at various times in his army career. He suffered with Malaria which meant that when he tried to join up again during WW2, he was unable to because of ill health.

I wondered about the belt which the man on the left is wearing - it is very distinctive.

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:03 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention but the large inverted chevron on his left arm is a Good Conduct badges which could be earned by regular soldiers before the war, and by all soldiers during the war. The qualifying periods were 2 years, 5, 12, 18 and beyond.

This suggests that the photo must date after August 1916 or even later. Add in the overseas service chevrons on his other arm which were only approved for wear in Dec 1917 and you get a 1918 date.

I can obviously see the large chevron on his left arm but can't make out anything at all on his right! Where am I supposed to be looking? ???

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
I agree with 1918-19.

The "looks too young to smoke" lad is wearing a lanyard and I wondered about Artillery but his belt has me puzzled.  My opinion is that the three men are from different regiments or corps - but without insignia I can't say which they belonged to.

The photograph could have been taken anywhere where tropical uniform was worn - all I can say is that the wrought iron fence with wire mesh together with what little can be seen of the building looks like a permanent or semi-permanent structure.  The shadowy figure seems to have too much hair to be a military man (possibly female?)
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:51 BST (UK) »

I can obviously see the large chevron on his left arm but can't make out anything at all on his right! Where am I supposed to be looking? ???

Great photo , Genjen. And I'm so pleased you asked that because I can't see anything on the right arm either !
The shadowy figure - I thought it looked like a woman watching and smiling from the other side of the mesh.

Looby :)