Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20799 times)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:12 BST (UK) »
I'm working on my newly found Stuart ancestors and I need some help with James Stuart. It's a common name but he had some special titles and I just want to make sure I have the correct man and am not mixing him up with another man of the same name. I have ordered a Will hoping it will give some more information but until then this is what I have:

1.1784 - James Stuart was born 9 Jan 1784 at Gracehill House, Antrim, Ireland. His parents were James Stuart Esq. and Grace (probably Grace Lynd). Source: cadet papers from FindMyPast. The mother wrote a letter giving his date of birth and where he was baptized. The reverend of the church there signed an affidavit stating that he was the one who performed the baptism. The father also signed something stating that the information was correct

2.1835 - A son, Henry Benson Stuart, was born 20 Apr 1835 in Calcutta, India. The father's name and profession: James Stuart Major HCM Service and Deputy Secretary Military Department. Source: British in India baptisms from FindMyPast. No mother mentioned.

3. 1839 - Lieutenant-Colonel James Stuart succeeded Sir William Cassement as Military Secretary to Government in India. Source: newspaper article from FindMyPast

4. 1846 - James Stuart CB becomes Lieutenant-Colonel. Source: Newspaper article from FindMyPast

5. 1852 - Newspaper article refers to him as Colonel Stuart of the East India Company, at present Military Secretary to the Government of India, son of James Stuart Esq. Source: newspaper article from FindMyPast

6. 1851-1854 - stated as Colonel Stuart CB in son's Cadet papers; letter from his son in 1854 he is called Colonel J. Stuart CB, Secretary to the Government of India in the Military Department. Source: son's Cadet papers from FindMyPast

7. 1859 - dies 19 Jul 1859 at his home in Gracehill, Antrim, called Major-General James Stuart CB, for many years Secretary to the Government of India, Miltary Department. Ireland -Source: newspapers articles and Probate Calendar from FindMyPast and Ancestry

8. 1859 - son Henry Benson Stuart marries Isabella Louise Carter 17 Nov 1859 - father is down as James Stuart, occupation Major General

9. 1868 - son Henry Benson Stuart marries Anna Mary Bourke. Father: James Stuart, General CB

10. 1871 Death of Maria Stuart. Colonel Widows pension on FindMyPast states her as the widow of Major-General J Stuart CB who died 19 Jul 1859.

Sorry for the very long post and thanks for your input!
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill; Stewarts in the Dobbs Report
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Benody
I too have just this spring got interested in Stewarts/ Stuarts, thanks to the Dobbs Report on the Hutchinson Bequest, recently re-published by Keith Beattie and a Hutchinson descendant. This fascinating list of 18th century names shows a marriage of a Stewart descendant to a Robert Taylor, who just might be my direct ancestor. Unfortunately might never be provable! unless with DNA. have you tested your DNA? send me a personal message if you have and we can see if we share anything, though at that distance it is unlikely in the current state of knowledge

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
Gracehill House at Dark Hedges Estate is located at 141 Ballinlea Rd, Stranocum, in Ballymoney civil parish, County Antrim. Its currently a golf club, wedding and corporate estate see http://www.gracehillhouse.com/history/   which outlines the amazing ancestry of  James and Grace[Lynd]  I think its also on facebook history. The history reference outlines the amazing ancestry of  James and Grace[Lynd] heres a short extract from that history
“It is believed that James undertook the construction of the house around 1775 and named it after his wife Grace (Lynd). James, like many of his ancestors was a fighting man raising a Yeomanry Corp, the 2nd Dunluce regiment who were heavily involved in the suppression of the 1798 rebellion. Life was not one totally of war and conflict but a sense of normality continued at Gracehill house and the surrounding lands. The house developed a sense of grandeur with the centrepiece being the planting of the beech tree drive leading to the house. The drive is no longer part of the Gracehill House estate but is known as the world famous ‘Dark Hedges’. It is one of the most photographed locations in Northern Ireland and has appeared in HBO’s Game of Thrones. It is through the ‘Dark Hedges’ that the resident ghost from Gracehill House is reported to roam. Commonly known as the ‘Grey Lady’, there are many stories as to her origin one of which is that she is James’s daughter Margaret, also known as ‘Cross Peggy’. Charles, another sibling of James stayed at home taking holy orders. Two of his sons followed in the footsteps of their military forefathers serving in the 39th Regiment with distinction in the Napoleonic wars with Spain in 1813-1814. It is at this stage that the Gracehill House story becomes a little less clear as the family with the royal connections have moved and settled across the globe and in the North American continent.”
the entire history needs to be read

Are you aware of Public Record Office for Northern Ireland PRONI Reference :D1238/3E
Title :   James Stuart, Stranocum House, Stranocum. Dates :   15 January 1914
Description :   James Stuart, Stranocum House, Stranocum. Form, O.T.1. This form gives a description of her [sic?]car and authorizes the government to use it whenever necessary. Printed.
is this   trackable through the PRONI  continuation valuation books that go up to
1921and further.
1861 looking at the published version of griffiths valuation for Stranocum see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=43246&county=Antrim&barony=Dunluce,%20upper&parish=Ballymoney&townland=%3Cb%3EStranocum%3C/b%3Edated ....... there are no Stuarts but there is a James Stewart who rents 15 acres land at No 9 , but has no house buildind recorded,  The next property 9a is exempt. the school house. the only other stewart lives at No The Street Stanocum with a veru modest house valued at @1 pa   the landowner of all Strancum is a Wm F Hutchinson who owns sawmill bog and turbary outside the Street but has Corn and flax mills within the street .He lives at No11 outside the street with a house valued at £40 and also has 160 acres of land.  I noticed his name in ither townlandshas also 100 acres Could he be The Stuarts land  agent?

There are 21 names listed in 1825 Stranocum tithes applotment books but no Stuart or Lynd in http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/ballymoney-parish.php
in 1901 there are
2 in Ballyboyland Upper (Stranocum, Antrim)
Stuart   Robert   45   Male   Head of Family   Presbyterian   Co Antrim   Agricultural Labourer   Cannot read or write   -   Not Married   -
Stuart   Sarah   34   Female   Sister   Presbyterian   Co Antrim   House Keeper   Cannot read or write   -   Not Married   -

Have you used http://www.ballymoneyancestry.com/intranet_login.aspx?page_id=5&redirect_url=/ballymoney-family-searches.aspx
Is the family in any published books?

among your further notes  have you found a tombstone or church window dedicated to him after he died19 Jul 1859 at his home in Gracehill, Antrim,

https://www.parksandgardens.org/places/stranocum-house says the house Stranocum HALL is currently empty however http://www.stranocumhall.com/History.htm says ITS BEEN REGENERATED and gives loads of Hutchinson family history inc the same militia
so I am now lost about finding Gracehill house in Stranocum 

possibly wasting your time my aplogies
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 June 19 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that! That's great. I've seen the bit about the history of Gracehill but not the rest. This is my first time working on Irish records so I'm completely lost.

I've seen in newspaper articles that there was a family vault in Derrykeighan. On James Stuart's cadet papers in 1804 or 1805 his mother Grace states he was born and baptised in Derrykeighan. I don't know anything about Irish geography.

I'll take a look at the websites you suggested.
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill; Stewarts in the Dobbs Report
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 June 19 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Benody
I too have just this spring got interested in Stewarts/ Stuarts, thanks to the Dobbs Report on the Hutchinson Bequest, recently re-published by Keith Beattie and a Hutchinson descendant. This fascinating list of 18th century names shows a marriage of a Stewart descendant to a Robert Taylor, who just might be my direct ancestor. Unfortunately might never be provable! unless with DNA. have you tested your DNA? send me a personal message if you have and we can see if we share anything, though at that distance it is unlikely in the current state of knowledge

Hi LindeL,

I've sent you a private message with my email address  :)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Jennings (Devon)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I have been looking in the wrong place
GRACEHILL HOUSE is 2 miles ne of STRANOCUM its in ARMOY CIVIL PARISH
DERRYKEIGHAN is a hamlet, civil parish and townland (of 161 acres) in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, 4 miles (7.5km)  N-NE of Ballymoney
Derrykeighan the hamlet is about 3 miles west of Gracehill house
1796 Flax Growers of Ireland, 1796 - County Antrim https://www.failteromhat.com/flax/antrim.php
Stewart              Alexander            Ballymoney         Antrim
Stewart             Charles              Derrykeighan       Antrim
Stewart             Daniel               Derrykeighan       Antrim
Stewart             Francis              Armoy              Antrim
Stewart             Robert               Derrykeighan       Antrim
Stewart             William              Ballymoney         Antrim
Stewart             William              Billy              Antrim
Stuart                James                Derrykeighan       Antrim
ARMOY CIVIL PARISH
1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books
based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s
listing for each parish in Northern Ireland,
The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
arranged by townland
Stuart, Chas.       Townland: Ballybregegh Year: 1832
Stuart, John       Townland: Ballykenver Year: 1832
Stuart, Mathew    Townland: Bellaney Year: 1832
Stuart, Luke       Townland: Carralaverty Year: 1832
Stuart, Alexr.            Townland: Moyaver Year: 1832
Stuart, Wm.       Townland: Moyaver Year: 1832
Stuart, Alexr.            Townland: Park Year: 1832
Stuart, John       Townland: Park Year: 1832
186x Griffiths valuation three sources 1. https://www.failteromhat.com for quick index.   2. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ for detail and map ref ..  3. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books since 186x
Stewart, Alexander   L: Cromaghs
Stewart, Alexander   L: Mill Five Acres (Armoy)
Stewart, Charles   L: Balleny
Stewart, Charles   L: Knocknahinch
Stewart, Charles   L: Mill Five Acres (Armoy)
Stewart, James   L: Moyaver Lower
Stewart, John      L: Moyaver Upper
Stewart, Matthew   L: Knocknahinch
Stewart, Patrick   L: Tureagh
Stewart, William   L: Kilcroagh
Stuart, James      L: Mill Five Acres (Armoy)
Stuart, John      L: Ballykenver

DERRYKEIGHAN CIVIL PARISH
1823-1837 Tithes Applotment Books
based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s
listing for each parish in Northern Ireland,
The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
arranged by townland
Stewart, Archd.   Townland: Ballydivettys Year: 1827
Stewart, Hugh   Townland: Ballydivettys Year: 1827
Stewart, John      Townland: Ballyratachan Year: 1827
Stewart, John      Townland: Carncullogh ,   
Stewart, John      Townland: Lisnagatt Year: 1827
Stewart, Robt.   Townland: Carnfeeoge Year: 1827
Stewart, Robt.   Townland: Tullybawn Year: 1827
Stewart, Widow    Townland: Tullybawn Year: 1827
Stewart, Wm.      Townland: Ballyratachan Year: 1827
Stuart, H. I., Esq.   Townland: Balinafie Year: 1827
Stuart, H. J., Esq.   Townland: Carnkirne Year: 1827
Stuart, H. J., Esq.   Townland: Carracloughy Year: 1827
Stuart, H. J., Esq.   Townland: Chathamhall Year: 1827
Stuart, H. J., Esq.   Townland: Edraowan Year: 1827
Stuart, Henry J., Esq.   Townland: Gracehill Year: 1827
Stuart, Henry J., Esq.   Townland: Tullybawn Year: 1827

186x Griffiths valuation three sources 1. https://www.failteromhat.com for quick index.   2. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ for detail and map ref ..  3. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books since 186x
Stewart, Elizabeth   L: Ballyratahan Lower
Stewart, James           L: Ballyratahan Lower
Stewart, James           L: T: Dervock - Knowhead Street
Stewart, Jane      L: Dervock
Stewart, Jane      L: Dervock T: Dervock - Main Street
Stewart, John      L: Deepstown
Stewart, Robert           L: Carncullagh Lower
Stewart, Robert           L: Dervock
Stewart, Robert           L: Dervock T: Dervock - Main Street
Stockman, David   L: T: Dervock - Coleraine Road
Stockman, John           L: T: Dervock - Knowhead Street
Stuart, Charles G.   L: Ballyhibistock Lower
Stuart, Charles G.   L: Chathamhall
Stuart, Gen. Jas.   L: Carracloghy
Stuart, Gen. Jas.   L: Chathamhall
Stuart, Gen. Jas.   L: Gracehill

now thats better 

other sources become available eg familysearch useing correct parish name
worldwide

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 June 19 19:14 BST (UK) »
well thank you to everyone for this very useful gatherup of information on Stewarts, I do hope I can establish a relationship to at least some of them

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 June 19 19:53 BST (UK) »

.......he was born and baptised in Derrykeighan. I don't know anything about Irish geography.

DERRYKEIGHAN is a hamlet, civil parish and townland (of 161 acres) in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, 4 miles (7.5km)  N-NE of Ballymoney
Derrykeighan the hamlet is about 3 miles west of Gracehill house

Derrykeighan is in the Civil Parish of Derrykeighan, Co. Antrim.
Zoom in one click to see Derrykeighan as the name of the hamlet.

https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/dunluce-lower/derrykeighan/derrykeighan/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 June 19 10:06 BST (UK) »
you mentioned a vault,  I am unable to check contents of
Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland.
Journal : An index of the churchyards and buildings from which inscriptions on tombs and mural slabs have appeared in The Journal of the Association for the Preservation of the Memorials of the Dead in Ireland, from 1888-1908.
Imprint   Dublin : Univ. Press, 1909.

I found a ref to a tablet
https://archive.org/stream/ulsterjournalofa05ulst/ulsterjournalofa05ulst_djvu.txt
(4) I have seen a very interesting note in the handwriting of the late Charles G. Stuart, J. P., Ballyhivistock, wherein he traces his family to a Robert Stuart, a relative to James I., who obtained lands in the County Cavan at the Plantation. His grandson William raised at his own expense a regiment, still known as "Stuart's Regiment," which fought under William III., but the expenses of which the king never refunded. Rev. Irwin Stuart was his grandson, and the present Charles M'D. Stuart, is great grandson of the erstwhile curate of Derrykeighan. There is a tablet in the parish church " to the memory of Major-General James Stuart, C.B., after nearly fifty years of Indian service, during many of which he filled the arduous and responsible office of Military .Secretary to the Government. This veteran soldier returned to his native land, where, on the 19th July, i8s9, aged 75 years, he fell asleep, full of faith in the atoning blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The churches are
Church of ireland. Derrykeighan caution New parish church is at Dervock https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/ANT/Derrykeighan/DerrykeighanNewParishChurch Old  parish church is at Derrykeighan https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/ANT/Derrykeighan/DerrykeighanOldParishChurch
Benvarden Presbyterian
Dervock Presbyterian  inc Kilraughts and Dervock
R.P. Dervock and Ballymoney reformed Presbyterian
Roman Catholic are in RC Ballymoney records     
 then using google I found an Ulster Historical Foundation gravestone inscription reference for Stuart
https://www.ancestryireland.com/family-records/gravestone-inscriptions/?search2=stuart&search3=&search4=derrykeighan&dropdown=Antrim&submit=Search
STUART   Derrykeighan CI   Derrykeighan    Dervock   Antrim   Log in Register 1 record 4 credits etc
Church of Ireland Church  231 Castlecat Road, Dervcock, Dervock

Someone is doing possibly connected research via Ulster Historical Foundation,
STUART and O'HARA   c1700-   Emigrated to India   16378 members number
worldwide