Author Topic: James Stuart CB of Gracehill  (Read 20807 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Stuart CB of Gracehill
« Reply #117 on: Monday 02 September 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
Are you saying the pedigree (MS 180, pp2-9) is a report done by Dobbs as part of his work on the Hutchinson Bequest?

Do you have a copy of the MS?

Archibald Stewart was Jane’s granduncle.  He only had one son who died young, so most of his property went to his nephew Alexander Stewart.

This is the deed where Roger Hall and his wife Christian Poyntz sell their half of the Acton estate to her nephew Rev. Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy:

Book 3 / Page 277 / Number 927
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-M3TV-2?i=258&cat=185720
Memorial of lease and release dated the 1st and 2nd Aug 1709 between Roger Hall of Mount Hall in the Barony of Upper Iveagh, Co Down, and Christian his wife (which said Christian is one of the daughters and coheirs of Sir Toby Poyntz late of Acton, Co Armagh, Knt, deceased) of the one part; and the Reverend Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy, Co Antrim, eldest son and heir of Sarah Stewart als Poyntz deceased, the other daughter and coheir of said Toby Poyntz.  For £2000 Roger Hall and Christian sold to Archibald Stewart all that the said Christian’s moiety or share undivided of the manor of Castle Town and Lands of Acton.  Witnessed by William Moore of Drumbanacher, Co Armagh Esq, Alexander Stewart of the city of Dublin, gent, attorney, and John Killpatrick of the city of Dublin, yeoman.  Memorial witnessed by Alexander Stewart and John Killpatrick.

I feel in danger of hi-jacking this thread and wonder whether it would be better creating a separate one for the Stewarts of Ballintoy…?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Monday 02 September 19 19:19 BST (UK) »
Are you saying the pedigree (MS 180, pp2-9) is a report done by Dobbs as part of his work on the Hutchinson Bequest?

I feel in danger of hi-jacking this thread and wonder whether it would be better creating a separate one for the Stewarts of Ballintoy…?

Sorry though it was clear that is was the report done by Dobbs.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.180, pp.2-9

which is basically a report done by Dobbs and only names those involved with some Court Case!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 02 September 19 20:46 BST (UK) »

It is a thread  for the Stewarts of Ballintoy  into which other Stewarts are interwoven!

The Stewarts of Ballintoy book has been posted.

Pedigree of Stewart of Ballytoye  c.1750 -- 1843  Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.174, p.104 has been posted.

but Pedigree of Stewart of Ballytoye c.1750 -- 1843  includes Pedigree of Stewart of Ballydivity, Co. Antrim, c.1750 -- 1843

as per
Pedigree of Stewart of Ballytoye and Ballydivity, Co. Antrim, c.1750 -- 1843

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms.174, p.104

which can be obtained at minimal cost as it is only 1 page.

The 8 page Pedigree Ms.180, pp.2-9   wasn't very expensive........

No need for starting a completely new thread.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 02 September 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, but the thread was posted about the Stuarts of Gracehill and Ballyhivistock, not about the Stewarts of Ballintoy and Ballydivity.  They’re two different families.  I just didn’t want to tread on the OP’s toes.

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 01:15 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, but the thread was posted about the Stuarts of Gracehill and Ballyhivistock, not about the Stewarts of Ballintoy and Ballydivity.  They’re two different families.  I just didn’t want to tread on the OP’s toes.

It's okay. I'm so completely lost in this thread at this point. Might as well be a free-for-all. These Stuarts or Stewarts or Steuarts seem to be tricky for everyone.
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Colin1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Friday 06 September 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry for coming in so late (thanks Linde ;) but Hallmark I had a few questions.
  You said what you found at the National Library in Dublin was the "report done by Dobbs". The Dobbs Report (reprint 2019 by Peter Hutchinson) is a 103 page book which currently includes 3,613 people in a Gedcom. 9 pages of material can not be the report.
  However, the actual "Report" also does not include any of the information you showed on the one page (Roger Hall married Christian Poyntz). The report has no dates, few locations and fewer titles which makes the modern genealogy difficult. It appears to me you may have found some of Dobbs' notes on his work. Since no one seems to know where those notes are located, you may have an important segment at the National Library. Is this possible?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Friday 06 September 19 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I’ve wondered the same after coming across the Orr Pedigree which includes the Stewarts of Ballintoy (Registered Pedigrees, Vol. 26):

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Search/Results?lookfor=genealogical+180&type=AllFields&submit=FIND&filter%5B%5D=digitised%3A%22Digitised%22&filter%5B%5D=topic_facet%3A%22Heraldry%22

This refers to the Dobbs report a couple of times, including at the top, “Janet or Elizabeth Blair: mentioned in the first report of Francis Dobbs, Esq., barrister at law made in the year 1796 (Chancery suit in England for the administration of the Hutcheson bequest) as the wife of Ninian Stewart”

I have a copy of the “First Report” of Francis Dobbs.  It doesn’t mention Peter Hutchinson, but it is 103 pages long.  As far as I can see my copy does not name Janet/Elizabeth Blair, so I wondered what the above pedigree extract was referring to.

Gilby

Offline Colin1718

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Friday 06 September 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
That seems to be the problem. The book you have is the same as mine. Peter (alive and well in New Zealand) reprinted this book which was published circa 1796. PRONI has a document dated 1794. I don't known if it had more info. The claim is that more then 15,000 people filed claims which Dobbs had to review and whittle down to the actual families. It is that paperwork that is missing.
   Also- your Orr Pedigree makes the Blair claim from the Ulster Inquests not Dobbs Report. Did you find that info?

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 21 September 19 09:37 BST (UK) »
I am not sure, but the book that some are discussing might be "The Hutchinson Bequest" which was compiled through research done by J. A. I. McCurdy.  If so, copies of it may be found in the Linenhall Library, Belfast, the N. I. Family History Society, the Irish Room, Coleraine Library, and the N.E.E.L.B. County Library, Ballymena.

I was interested in the Ballintoy Stewarts connection to the Macaulay family of Cushendall as Capt. (later Major) Alexander Macaulay had married Alice Stewart, daughter of Ninion Stewart, younger and his wife, Jane McCullough.  The Macaulays were also closely related through marriage to the Dobbs family.

However, not only had Alexander Macaulay married a Ballintoy Stewart, but his daughter Ealse (Alice) most likely had as well.  She was married to Capt. Robert Stewart whom I really know not much about except that she and Robert had issue a son, James, who had issue James, Jr., Dorothea, and Catherine.  Seems James, Jr.had a son, Robert;  Catherine married George Longworth and their descendants became the the family of Longworth-Dames; and Dorthea married Thomas Dawson and had a daughter, Helena.

There are also other Macaulay marriages that I would like more information on besides the above mentioned Captain Robert Stewart's.  For example, according to Eustace's Abstract of Wills, George Stewart of Red Bay, gent. who had died sometime between 1730 and 1737 was married in 1712 to Sheely McAulay.  She and George had issue one son, Francis Stewart.  The family of George Stewart is not mentioned in the Hutchinson Bequest.

The Macaulay family of Cushendall is descended from the Macaulay family of Ardincaple, Scotland.  The last male heir of this family passed away in 1893, so I am not sure what happened to whatever genealogical records this family may have kept.  If there are any in existence, I would like to know.