Author Topic: Looking for a birth  (Read 3880 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a birth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
possible lead ?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N46T-G4J
Henry Murphy with the parents names you mentioned, marrying in Massachusetts 1914, born about 1881 in Haverhill, , Massachusetts

It looks as though this is a different family.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9RS-HJ5

Thomas immigration date is 1859.
Michael Murphy (this thread) arrived 1880s

Is this the right family for Michael Thomas?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9YM-4RR
Thank you Heywood will check back with the person in US

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
Tks SInann & Hallmark

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
This is a naturalisation record for Michael which i think is also listed in the tree information

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-8SYJ-B?i=2100&cc=1840474
Birthdate given March 9th 1863.
There is a further Massachusetts naturalisation record for Michael Murphy which I don’t have full access to but which gives the same birthdate , birth place County Cork , arrival 7th June 1883.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:40 BST (UK) »
This is a naturalisation record for Michael which i think is also listed in the tree information

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939N-8SYJ-B?i=2100&cc=1840474
Birthdate given March 9th 1863.
There is a further Massachusetts naturalisation record for Michael Murphy which I don’t have full access to but which gives the same birthdate , birth place County Cork , arrival 7th June 1883.
THis is the Michael Heywood- when I checked on the Tree that gives same details I found the tree owner is the person I am in contact with. He doesnt know his origins in Co Cork that is what he is trying to establish so I :) would say that with 11,000 people on his tree if he couldnt locate Michaels origins we do not have any hope. Thank you for searching & I suggest leaving the search .

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 May 19 17:55 BST (UK) »
I thought that might be the case.
He is difficult to find. ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline padraigm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 November 23 21:38 GMT (UK) »
If anyone should come across this thread again, here is an update:  I am not sure, but I believe I am the individual in the US who initiated the request that landed in this chat.  I want to thank any and all of you who weighed in on the question.  Through a combination of records and DNA matching I was able to determine that Johana Keefe/Keeffe/O'Keefe prior to her marriage with Thomas Murphy was married to a David Nunan/Noonan in 1844.  This marriage appears in the Casey Collection indexes but I have not found it in parish record transcription.  DNA matching suggests that they were from the vicinity of Kinsale, or nearby north of Kinsale.  They had several children, some of whom were baptized in Kinsale and in Clontead/Ballymartle.  At some point by the mid-1850's they relocated to the vicinity of Pouladuff Road, Ballycurreen, south of Cork City.  Their last child (known to me was baptized in 1855.  I have a half dozen or so DNA matches to descendants of their daughter Mary Noonan Kenneally.  Some of these appear to be third cousins.  In 1898, Mary Noonan Kenneally registered the death of a Johanna Murphy and listed herself as daughter.  This is the case for Johana Keeffe to have married David Nunan and then later Thomas Murphy, or clearly someone named Murphy.  My current research is centered on a David Nunan who was listed in Griffiths Valuation as living in Kilnahone townland in Killanully Parish which is at the south edge of the area where I know my Kenneally descended cousins to have originated.  In Griffiths, the name listed adjacent to David Nunan in Kilnahone is a Michael Murphy.  It seems plausible, but unproven, that when David died Johana may have married a son or other relation of their neighbor Michael Murphy.  Griffiths lists Michael Murphy and David Nunan as having houses but literally no land.  The parcel(s) referenced are adjacent to the Mill that was located in Kilnahone with an additional mill located across the Owenabue River at Ballea.  I wonder if Michael and David may have been laborers in this Mill complex?  Any insights that anyone may have on these theories would be very appreciated.  Thank you again for your earlier efforts.