Author Topic: Could Pickren be Pickering?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Could Pickren be Pickering?
« on: Saturday 01 June 19 00:11 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a recently discovered ancestor called Rachel Pickren on her marriage record from the church. I haven't seen an original just a transcribed text.

She was married in Hilston which appears to be a fairly small village.

There is a potential baptism for her in 1805 in that village, but that baptism is for a Rachel Pickering.

Do you think it's possible that Pickren could be Pickering? According to my research Pickren is a surname in it's own right.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could Pickren be Pickering?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 June 19 01:05 BST (UK) »
It certainly is a possibility, thinking of how the 2 surnames would be pronounced, but further evidence would be needed, especially as you say that the two are apparently distinct names.

However, Rachel Pickren appears to have married a John Billoney 20 Dec 1824 in Welwick rather than Hilston. The marriage record is at Find my Past, and definitely says Pickren, unfortunately she made a cross for signature.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 June 19 01:58 BST (UK) »
Yes it's possible & as it wasn't her own signature it would have been written how it sounded or what the scribe thought it was.

Many of us have names wrongly spelt & sometimes 2 different spellings on 1 doc.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 19 08:46 BST (UK) »
Yes it's possible & as it wasn't her own signature it would have been written how it sounded or what the scribe thought it was.

Many of us have names wrongly spelt & sometimes 2 different spellings on 1 doc.

Annie

Agree. What I would do is do some research to see if you can followwhat happened to Racel Pickering.  If you can that means not the same person.  If not it's not absolute proof it's the same person but does strengthen your argument.

I have a marriage certificate where the Groom's surname is spelt 5 different ways (him,his parents and witnesses).  I wonder if the registrar was hedging his bets.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 June 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
I have a branch in my tree with the surname Pickering which occasionally becomes Pickeren or Pickren in the Parish registers.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 June 19 09:06 BST (UK) »
Quite possibly.

I have an ancestor from the era whose maiden surname was Overton by the time she died in distant lands and also when she married in the 1830s (just prior to Civil Registration unfortunately).  Fortunately she is on the 1851 census and is very specific about her place of birth.

In the parish where she was born the parish records have Overton, Overting and Overington.   

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Could Pickren be Pickering? - RESOLVED
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 June 19 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everybody for your help and suggestions. It's really helpful to be able to talk things like this out.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*