Author Topic: Yeovil - Reckleford Hill - Rakes Buildings  (Read 674 times)

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Yeovil - Reckleford Hill - Rakes Buildings
« on: Saturday 08 June 19 18:18 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please with identifying the location of Rakes Buildings? They used probably to be somewhere in the region of the Nags Head which was on the opposite side of the road from the Black Horse near the junction of Reckleford Hill and Higher Kingston in Yeovil. They're mentioned by name in the 1861 census, when there were some dozen households resident in the Buildings.
I've been in touch with Bob Osborn, author, and owner of the hugely informative yeovilhistory.info website, but alas he was unable to help on this rare occasion.
I think I saw a photo of Rakes Buildings on the web back in the 1990s, prior to demolition presumably to make way for the dual carriageway, but alas the photo has disappeared...
Tx

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Yeovil - Reckleford Hill - Rakes Buildings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 June 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
'They're mentioned by name in the 1861 census, when there were some dozen households resident in the Buildings'

What were the names/addresses of the houses before and after them?

Added:  Can you give a reference or name of family living there in 1861, please?

for map:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/122163842#zoom=4&lat=3575&lon=10712&layers=BT

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
Re: Yeovil - Reckleford Hill - Rakes Buildings
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 June 19 10:10 BST (UK) »
Alas, I've already been there, done that, got the T-shirt! It helped me establish a likely identity with un-differentiated properties in earlier censuses (specifically looking at Lowman & Mary Mitchell), and to pretty confidently place (ooops, split infinitive :o) Rakes Bldgs in the immediate area of the Nags Head. But that's the long, tall and the short of it. OS maps (25 inch) don't help. Have even searched Brit Newspaper Archive from various angles for possible clues, but nothing - though as that's still a work in progress I'll have to go back every now and then.
Heigh-ho!
Thanks for replying.