Author Topic: Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Wilson/Cuyler Marriage in Ontario.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 June 19 18:02 BST (UK) »

Thanks polarbear.

Re: your edit...

I think my Grandfather must have been related to Stewart Wilson, (because of the DNA Matches). The problem is I just don't know how:-(

There was a Stewart Wilson Born Manchester 1827, but he Died aged 8 months. The Stewart Wilson married to Agnes seems to have been born in Ontario? (Incidentally, one Tree on Ancestry has her as Agnes KEAN).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 15:18 BST (UK) »
Re the Cuyler/Switzer connection.....it looks like the mother of Amanda Juliette (I believe she has this name, not Isobel Amanda?) is a Rachel Switzer.

Do you have parents, including MMN for your William James Wilson?

Do you have access to Canadian and USA records?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 15:30 BST (UK) »

PB, - sadly, the answer to most of your questions is 'No'.

My Father, (son of WJ Wilson) was 30yrs older than my Mother, and Died when I was 5. My Grandfather WJ Wilson Died years before I was born.

On his Marriage Cert, (to my Grandmother in June 1893 in Swansea) he says his Father is, 'William Wilson (Deceased) Occupation: Mason. (I'll try and attach it here).

I have a hunch that WJ's Mother was an Alice. This is because WJ's 3rd son was initially Registered as 'Alice Rencella Wilson'. 3 months later his name and gender were reassigned as a 'Clerical Error' and he became a boy instead of a girl, and Ernest Rencella Wilson for the rest of his life! (He Died in 1957).

I was persuing the Switzer lead because I have quite a few Switzer Matches on the Ancestry DNA Site...

It might be a 'red herring' though...

Romilly ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
OK then....

You certainly have a large brick wall with WJW, don't you?

I wonder if one might equate Mason to a Slate Quarrier? Thoughts?

I can't see the cert you posted very well (fuzzy) but I don't think it is the one you meant to put up? Can you post William's age on his cert and the date? And his profession?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 20:05 BST (UK) »

PB, - WJ Wilson says he's 32yrs, Batchelor, Occupation: House Painter.

Until the 1911 I thought that the William James Wilson, Born 1860 in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancs, with Father William Wilson, Slate Quarrier, was my man!

However, on the 1911 Census, that WJ Wilson is still single and living at home, - whereas my Grandfather WJ Wilson is married to my Grandmother, and living in St Helens Road, Swansea, with her and their 6 sons...

I did follow the other WJ through and he never married and Died in Kirkby Ireleth.

Having said that, - according to Living DNA, I have 8% DNA from Cumbria, - and Kirkby Ireleth is in Cumbria, (used to be Lancs).

Romilly  ::)
Researching:

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
Oh, too bad. That was such a good looking lead.

Onward and upward.....I'll work on Stewart tomorrow. It does look like he was born in Canada.

PB

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 20:34 BST (UK) »

Thanks so much for looking PB. (I know how dispiriting it is looking at Wilson's, - too many of them...:-)

Prior to the 1911 coming out, - I followed the Wilson's and Brunton's in Kirkby Ireleth, and ordered lots of Certs. It all looked so good, - and William Wilson Snr had a good sideline as a Beerhouse Keeper... I was sooo disappointed that they weren't the right family in the end:-(

Romilly 8)
Researching:

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello again. Before I start with Stewart I thought I'd put down a few notes about what records are available for free for Canada and the USA, in case you were not aware of them  :).

All Canadian censuses are available on the Canadian Archives website, here....

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Certain years also here....

http://automatedgenealogy.com

Familysearch has Ontario BMDs if you are signed up there. I have problems accessing these records myself at times but they are there.

Familysearch also has census records for the USA but I'm not sure which years are covered.

Also, I'm not sure where you are located but you might check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This should give you access to the Canadian and USA records, including images, but not family trees.

PB

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 15:08 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the Links PB, - greatly appreciated.

I have Subs to Ancestry(UK) which doesn't cover Canada.

I'm in SW Hertfordshire, - just to the NW of London.

Our local Library here doesn't have Ancestry Library Edition unfortunately, I have checked.

I have considered taking out Ancestry Worldwide, - just for a month, but at the moment my 95yr old Mother is unwell, and I'm having to do a lot of driving... and so that will have to wait a while.

Many Thanks for the help,
Romilly.
Researching: