Author Topic: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died  (Read 10628 times)

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John B WARD master of ship Canada 1810 where born married ,died
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
I cant help wondering if your confusion is coming from this on Familysearch..seems to be a mix up here..Most likely a computer match up and people have gone with it and adopted it into their trees..one born Feb the other March both Mary and both Mothers are Mary
Mary Preston
Australia Births and Baptisms, 1792-1981
 birth:
1 February 1811
christening:
10 February 1811
ST. PHILIP, SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA
residence:
New South Wales, Australia father:
James Ward
mother:
Mary Preston
Mary Preston
 birth:
26 March 1811
christening:
9 April 1811
residence:
John Preston
mother:
Mary 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 02:10 BST (UK) »
I am not confused.  Please carefully read my posts on this thread, as You will find I have already  given you the info for both those,  you need to consider inspecting the images of the official documents instead of copy/paste sections from other family trees. 

Do you descend from the McMahon chap who died in Forbes NSW or from one of William Henry's daughters? 

JM

I cant help wondering if your confusion is coming from this on Familysearch..seems to be a mix up here..Most likely a computer match up and people have gone with it and adopted it into their trees..one born Feb the other March both Mary and both Mothers are Mary
Mary Preston
 birth:
1 February 1811
christening:
10 February 1811
residence:
James Ward
mother:
Mary Preston
Mary Preston
 birth:
26 March 1811
christening:
9 April 1811
residence:
John Preston
mother:
Mary 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
Primary Source Documents held by NSW Archives, and originated by the NSW Governors in the 1820s:

My transcriptions:

:) 15 September 1825 Certificate of Freedom 054/4273 replaced CF 8/1807 for Mary PRESTON, Canada (2), 1810, ex Middlesex Gaol Delivery 20 Sept 1809, Seven Year sentence, native of London, a Housekeeper,  (now aged) 34 years …… Grey hair …. See Reel 602 at NSW State Archives, as per the Convict index : https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts/indexes   

:)  :)  :) Likely you would find digitised image of the official register of that replacement CF via Ancestry or FindMyPast as both have current partnership arrangements with NSW Archives.    Likely you will find digitised image of the 1825 General Muster and of the 1828 NSW Census online at various family history websites.

:) 1825 General Muster,  Mary PRESTON, per Canada arriving 1811, Free by Servitude, Widow, McMahon, residing Windsor

:) NSW 1828 Census  Mary PRESTON aged 38 per Canada 1810 at Pitt Town, Servant to James FLOYD.

I believe those official documents and the parish registers would be vital documents to consider as confirming/eliminating any Mary PRESTON as part of your family history, however, I do readily acknowledge that each family historian can decide for themselves how and what and when and where and why they want to include any person in their own records of their family trees.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 04:35 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807635.0

name : PRESTON Mary,
Free or Bond : FS  (Free by Servitude)
Ship : Canada
Year : 1810
Sentence : 7 (years)
Religion : Pro (Protestant)
Employment : Servant
Residence : James Floyd
District : Pitt Town

https://www.paperturn-view.com/nsw-state-archives/1828-census-5-of-6-nrs1272-sz-982?pid=NDM43344&v=1.1

I leave it to you to follow up with all the others mentioned previously on this thread as being in NSW in 1828.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 05:05 BST (UK) »
The only 1828 marriage listed for a bride with the surname WARD that is displayed at the NSW BDM index is for the marriage of an Ann WARD and henry HITCHCOCK.   There is NO marriage listed for any Mary WARD in 1828. 

HOWEVER

The NSW BDM index definitely has the 1828 marriage for a bride with the surname WEARD.   I have already posted those details, but just in case you missed them:  William H PAYTON and Mary WEARD Volume 12, line 801 and Volume 3B, line 4297.    The Early Church Code is CS, which is for Church of England, Pitt Town.

Mary MacMAHON and John WILSON’s 1838  marriage is  in Volume 22, line 1832.  The Early Church Code is CD, which is for Church of England, Castlereagh

May I assure you that there is NO listing at NSW BDM online index for a birth/baptism for a Mary WARD in 1811.    The 1811 baptism of Mary, daughter of Mary PRESTON per the Canada has two likely entries at NSW BDM online index and these are Volume 6, Line 349 and Volume 1A line 2362.     And of course in both those volumes (1A and 6) there will also be the baptism for John and Mary PRESTONs baby born in March 1811.

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search?0 

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/about-us/history-of-registry.aspx   

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Documents/early-church-codes.pdf

I leave it to you to follow up with confirming the various NSW bdm records for your family members.  I do suggest you give serious consideration to obtaining the official records, either via the films available via family search or NSW Ark kits (perhaps Tasmania's state library has a set)  or as official transcriptions from NSW official transcribers.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Add
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-research-nsw.aspx
and
https://www.sag.org.au/

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 05:45 BST (UK) »
I will attach a sample of one page from the many pages for 1809 Baptisms of Illegitimate Children (NSW)

Notice that you can see there are pages underneath it, and that this page has around 20 entries on it, covering part of November and much of December 1809.  Notice it is all in the same handwriting.  Notice there are line numbers, page numbers, and other clerical notations.   The 1810 lists, the 1811 lists all very similar.   I am familiar with transcribing these lists up as a volunteer transcriber, years and errr ... decades ago.

JM

ADD it is now 20 June 2019, 12:30 pm NSW time, and the attachment has been downloaded ten times.  The OP has been online several times since I first uploaded that sample page and since I posted reply #51.  I will remove it in case there is any copyright issue aspect associated with it.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 20 June 19 02:07 BST (UK) »
I am not confused.  Please carefully read my posts on this thread,.....

Do you descend from the McMahon chap who died in Forbes NSW or from one of William Henry's daughters? 

I am interested in learning the answer to that question,   :)  I can see you have been online several times since I last posted, and that the sample page has been downloaded at least 9 times already.

JM

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 20 June 19 08:03 BST (UK) »
orry about the delay...three things....this is not the direction I wanted to go remember the Captain John B Ward and I asked around the wifes Family ..most are happy with the information they already have, however I gave them the link, so bet ya they took a copy...as I said Im only mildly interested,But I have to say what an interesting story..from Preston to Ward and because of a death one son going with McMahon. The wife's family are McMahon and because of another death the wife's Mum was given another name ...Trust me a DNA nightmare

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 20 June 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
Yes,  you wanted birth, marriage, death for the captain of the ship that transported Mary Preston to NSW in 1810 in case you could find the DNA link between him and her daughter born   several months after Mary landed in Sydney, and you believe that daughter is an ancestor of your wife's family because a number of submitted trees show that in 1828 a Mary Ward married in NSW. 

HOWEVER those submitted trees have a number of significant flaws and none have provided independent evidence to supporr their offerings,  while official historical NSW  records that I have provided transcripts from are not giving any reason to suspect the Captain of that 1810 voyage as a reputed father of that 1811 born lass.

You need to obtain some official records and examine them in minute detail.

JM  sorry for typos,  one finger typing on e reader   ::)