Author Topic: John Sherlock, Marrick  (Read 711 times)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Sherlock, Marrick
« on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:23 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, John Sherlock, died in 1809 and is buried at Marrick near Richmond.  According to the parish register, he was an agent for Lord Powlett and I have examples of some rents collected by him, paid to the office at Fremington.

According to Historic England's description of St. Andrew's at Marrick, there is a memorial to him on the north wall of the church. 

I'd be very grateful indeed if someone visiting Marrick, or living locally, if not inconvenient, could make a copy of the inscription for me.  I only have the index for Marrick MIs, but according to the NBI, he was 82 years old when he died, so I assume this came from the memorial.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Sherlock, Marrick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:54 BST (UK) »
Pauline, thank you very much - this will be John's grand daughter.  John junior's family lived at Owlands and I have a copy of his will.

But how interesting to see this - lots of useful family detail.

Thank you again.
Yours
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
... according to the NBI, he was 82 years old when he died, so I assume this came from the memorial.

The NBI is an index of burials, not a record of memorials. If you find information in it that isn't in a parish register, the most likely source would be a bishop's transcript. Although these are supposed to be a true copy of the PRs, they do sometimes differ.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
My fault - his age is actually tucked away in a column at the edge of the parish register and has been copied by the NBI.  Must have been half-asleep the day I found it!

Thanks for alerting me.

Joyce