Author Topic: Jessie Helen Dorman - where did she go?  (Read 4868 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Helen Dorman - where did she go?
« on: Thursday 13 June 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Needing help to locate Jessie Helen Dorman born at Leswalt, Wigtownshire on 26th August 1863. She is the youngest child of Thomas Dorman and Ann Neil.

Jessie Helen is on the 1871 Census - recorded as Jessey Dorman - age 8 , born Leswalt at Kirkcolm. Wigtownshire. She is with her mother, 2 sisters and 2 nephews.
I have not been able to locate Jessie Helen/Jessey on the 1881 Census.

9th December 1884 there is a marriage at 15 Smith Street, Govanhill registered in the district of Gorbals, Glasgow -  Jessie Dorman (spinster) age 21, Domestic Servant to Hermann Miller (bachelor) age 21 Hairdresser (Master) .
The bride's address is given as 18 Greenvale Street, Stranraer. Her parents are Thomas Dorman (dec'd) and Ann Neil.
The groom's address is 21 Cathcart Road, Govanhill. His parents are John Miller and Catherine Fuenker (hard to decipher) dec'd.
Witnesses Helen McCormick and George Irving.

So far I have been unable to locate Jessie Helen and her husband Hermann on Scottish Census or death registrations.  It looks like the couple may have emigrated ::)   although family "story" had them move to Edinburgh.
Any pointers or possible candidates for this couple welcome.

Please note - I've researched the Dormans- Jessie's siblings and her parents - and have births. deaths, marriages, Census information for them.
I only need to find wee Jessie Helen.

Thanks for reading,

Looby :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Helen Dorman - where did she go?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 19 19:50 BST (UK) »
In 1881 could she be Jessie Dowall b 1864 Leswalt living in Leswalt?  Can't see an 1871 for a Jessie Dowall
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
I had a look earlier today. I noticed that Jessie was Ellen Jane on 1871 Ellen J on 1881 censuses on SP. The only Hermann Miller I could find was the marriage you mention. I could not find a marriage for his parents in Scotland, so I wonder if Hermann was born elsewhere?

However no luck with later census returns.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
There is a Herman(n) Miller, hairdresser, from Germany to be found in Whitechapel from 1891 onwards, although he says he is single

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
In 1881 could she be Jessie Dowall b 1864 Leswalt living in Leswalt?  Can't see an 1871 for a Jessie Dowall

Thanks Carole,

I will check that Jessie out. I'm assuming in 1881 , as she's not with her mother and sister, that she was in service somewhere.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
I had a look earlier today. I noticed that Jessie was Ellen Jane on 1871 Ellen J on 1881 censuses on SP. The only Hermann Miller I could find was the marriage you mention. I could not find a marriage for his parents in Scotland, so I wonder if Hermann was born elsewhere?

However no luck with later census returns.

Colin

Hi Colin,
Thanks for looking and helping
I think that Ellen J Dorman is a different young woman (possibly a cousin or distant relative of Jessie Helen's)  - there is a birth of an Ellen Jane Dorman in Stranraer on 27th Feb 1863 to a James Dorman & Jeanie Maclean :-\  I believe the Census you've found is for her.

Yes, I couldn't find a birth for Hermann Miller or a marriage for his parents. Looks like he could have been born somewhere else. Perhaps Germany ??

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
There is a Herman(n) Miller, hairdresser, from Germany to be found in Whitechapel from 1891 onwards, although he says he is single

Ooooo, Mabel Bagshawe, that's interesting. Thank you for that information. I wonder if this is Jessie Helen's husband ?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
I wonder if his surname was actually Muller and anglicised to Miller?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:46 BST (UK) »
There's a death of Hermon Muller, aged 38, in Edinburgh St Giles in 1889. Must be worth a look?

And a Jessie Muller married Isaac Wood in Glasgow in 1906.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.