Author Topic: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him  (Read 7599 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 June 19 17:12 BST (UK) »
Daniel’s father was Edward Evans a basket maker, so another traveller. Although Daniel was born in Llandovery/Llanwrda, they may well have been travelling and the next week they were somewhere else. The 1901 census appears on the gypsygenes website, but it now looks like they were travelling folks across generations.

The first name crossed out on the 1911 census and replaced with John, originally read Daniel. I am one sibling missing as there are 4 living, but only 3 seem to be present on the 1901 and 1911 censuses.

I found on the GRO: Catherine Morgans . Mother’s Maiden Name: Rees 
GRO Reference: 1873  J Quarter in Swansea  Volume 11A  Page 630

As for the children, including all permutations of their name, nothing seems to fit.

I had seen the record for Tilly/Matilda where the father is in the tin industry. Then for the next child they are in Swansea. I assume they worked where they could between fairs, tin, copper or coal. There are other Evans families also working there and living in the same areas.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 June 19 18:24 BST (UK) »
These records feel as if they might contribute to  the solution,other than a middle name,and possibly,  order.

Birth:Matilda Morgans mmn Bevan  Swansea 1893   GRO

Marriage: Daniel Evans to Catherine Martha Bevan Sept Quarter Swansea 1893   FreeBMD

Regards
Roger

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 June 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hanes Teulu, How did you find that. It helps to speak and read Welsh, which I am lacking.

Speaking Welsh has nothing to do with it. The info was readily available on GRO, FindMyPast, BMD etc.

So, first, what do you mean by "How did you find that". What is "that"? I have posted several items.

Re. "Aren Evans", are you still pursuing an "Aren/AAron Evans" or do you accept that the name might, just might, be "Evan Daniel Evans"??   

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 June 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
I am quite new to family research and this family I find challenging. To be honest, I can follow Tilly/Matilda, but the sons with their name changes, I struggle to follow. I like to make sense of things and at present so much of it does not make sense. Lliw Common I had seen, but could not link it to the family until you said it held a gypsy encampment. I have looked laterally, found plenty of information that I file as possibles, which is where most of it stays until a link is formed. But I should have looked deeper into the places, and found the Lliw Common encampment. I have come to realise, travelling people must be one of the most difficult groups to research their family tree. Wherever they were for the birth of their children, was likely to be an encampment.

Now I do not know what Aran/Evan/Aaron/Daniel means. But on the marriage certificate it is only Aran and the army has him as Aran; no second name. If you are giving your name formally, surely it will be the most accurate. Daniel was crossed out. I did think that could be the fourth child who is not present in either census, when the 1911 census says there were four living children. As for Evan Evans, I could understand that being a transcription error for Aran. For someone to go into a large gypsy encampment and ask such questions must be a difficult experience. Evan, even linked with Evans is common in Wales; Aran is rare, and not only in Wales.

My initial question asked what happened to Aran Evans in 1939. I don't feel I will get that answer, probably because he was involved in the war. What I have learnt, adds to the 'formal' information I had. It has been interesting, especially knowing my family better as my great-grandfather was a Hawker, but static rather than travelling. 'Official' documentation has him as Aran and there is one death registration with the same spelling; I will get that certificate; if only to rule it out. There will be branches where closure does not happen. My family members realting to the Evans family died, I have closure relating to them, so I there is only curiosity in following this branch backwards or forwards.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 June 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
'the army has him as Aran; no second name.'

What army records have you found for him?

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 June 19 20:52 BST (UK) »
There is a question on the World War One page: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=813401.0

Initially, A Evans joined the South Lancashire Regiment and given the number 242740. Later when he was transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, he became 138347. Pembrokeshire Absent Voters List has Aron Evans of 19 Market Street, having the Machine Gun Corps 13834 number; and missing the last digit. The War Office Daily Casualty List has South Lancashire Regiment - Evans 242740 A (Barry Port) under the wounded section, dated 12th Sept 1917.

I accept Aran is also Aron, but it is not Evan, Daniel or containing a middle name.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 15:44 BST (UK) »
The GRO only provides certificates up to 1957, so this morning I called at the Registrar's office. Requesting Aran Evans . Jan-Mar 1958 . 8a 315 Carmarthen the national entry could not be found in their list. I have now emailed with more information so they can look further.

Looking again at the actual census records Aran has been spelt Evan (1901) Aaron (1911, but transcribed as Caron) Aron (Army) and Aran (Marriage). There is no evidence of a second name.
The 'crossing out' was with his brother Dan (1901) and John Daniel (1911). Just because there is no evidence, they may have had other names. When asked, what is the child's name, it is natural to offer the one they are called, rather than all names given. But marriage tends to ask for a full name and it is still Aran. I can see John being combined with Daniel because of the crossing out, but not Aran.

I did think Daniel was the fourth child, missing from both censuses as there should be 4 children living. Even in 1911, if one had flown the 'caravan' they should be on the 1901 census.

There is an added issue, that there are two Daniel Evans at Llandilo T’Bont, both born in 1870 at Llandovery, but the other has a wife called Ann.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:09 BST (UK) »
The GRO only provides certificates up to 1957,

That's simply not true! ;D

The GRO can supply certificates for all events, except those within the last 6 months (18 months for marriages).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:47 BST (UK) »
I tried on GRO and could only search up to 1957.
1837-1957 Deaths - Current and Marriage indexes are not available to search here: Pasted from the GRO website. When I tried to search I could only go as far as 1957 on the slider.

I have the registration: Carmarthen 8a 315, from a national list, but the Registrar in Carmarthen could not find it. Would the GRO find a certificate when Carmarthen are unable to?