Author Topic: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him  (Read 7601 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him
« on: Saturday 15 June 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
I have a conundrum. This part of my family started in Pembrokeshire when Aran Evans married Martha Jane Williams - 15 May 1918 at Haverfordwest Register Office. But then I found the marriage of Daniel Evans, his father and Martha Jane Williams, her mother, six months earlier - 26 Nov 1917 at Carmarthen Register Office. I have asked questions regarding both on Pembrokeshire, World War One and Travelling People pages receiving plenty of valuable information. This now, I believe relates to Carmarthenshire.

I would like to know what happened to Aran/Aaron Evans. The 1911 census says he was born in Swansea c.1897. Daniel his father, was born in Llandovery c.1870, though the 1911 census clearly says Llanwrda, and transcribed Llanneda. He was a Travelling Showman having  stall on fairs.

On the 1939 Register the only possible, seems to be in Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. Aron Evans, born: 26 Jan 1895 who is married and trading as a Fish Monger. The issues is Catherine John Evans, born: 1 Sep 1899, also married and undertaking household duties. RG101 / 7239E / 008 /35 . Letter Code XERQ These are the only two at that address. Looking at the original, but a little blurred, the name Evans seems to be crossed out. Was her married name John?

I had looked at the 1939 record before and put it to one side because of Catherine John Evans. Aran married Martha Jane Williams, but I found a death in 1920, for which I need to buy the certificate. At present it is a hunch. But in the 1939 register Aron is married not a Widower.

Now I have found their parents on the 1939 Register. Martha Jane Evans (Williams) is in Blue Street, Carmarthen, living with some family members and described as incapacitated. She died the following year and through probate, effects went to her daughter Florence. She was still referred to as married, so I looked for and found Daniel Evans living in ‘The Living Van’, with others, also in Carmarthen. The main one is Mayra, May Roberts, but Mayra, May  has been crossed out and Elizabeth Mary was handwritten. He is trading as a Fish Monger.

I find the 1939 Register strange with all of the corrections. From other family members, there are names added that do not make sense, I know they never married such a person. So I am questions every crossing out, with addition written.

I have now returned to this 1939 Register record. Having recently found Daniel Evans in Carmarthen also trading as Fish Monger, the Williams side of this family were in Laugharne and Haverfordwest. My Grandfather had returned to Laugharne and they were fishermen. He too was a Fish Monger. I know this might be a long-shot, but I need to look again.

Having found Martha Jane Evans (Williams) my great-grandmother, my search technically ended; but Aran/Aaron Evans is bugging me; I would like closure on this strand.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aran/Aaron Evans where was he in 1939 and what happened to him
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
The 1939 National Register does NOT contain the names of any person who was in the Armed Forces.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 June 19 09:44 BST (UK) »
That is a possibility as he was involved throughout WW1. In 1939 he would be 44 years old. On his marriage certificate he was a Collier, but I do not know for how long, so could also have been conscripted to work down the mines. There is a death recorded in 1958 of Aran Evans (the same spelling), Jan-Mar 1958 in Carmarthen. He was aged 62, so about the right DOB (Volume 8A Page 315). Maybe I need to buy that certificate.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 June 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
' The issues is Catherine John Evans, born: 1 Sep 1899, also married and undertaking household duties. RG101 / 7239E / 008 /35 . Letter Code XERQ These are the only two at that address. Looking at the original, but a little blurred, the name Evans seems to be crossed out. Was her married name John?'

Catherine Evans, sometime after 1939 register date, marries a Mr John and so becomes Catherine John.  At the time that the 1939 register was taken she was Catherine Evans.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 June 19 18:28 BST (UK) »
The 1939 National Register does NOT contain the names of any person who was in the Armed Forces.

I have Albert C Pullinger HM Forces 6396820 R Sussex Regiment on the 1939 Register at home in Yeovil, so I think it depends on the circumstances.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 June 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
'I would like to know what happened to Aran/Aaron Evans. The 1911 census says he was born in Swansea c.1897. Daniel his father, was born in Llandovery c.1870, though the 1911 census clearly says Llanwrda, and transcribed Llanneda. He was a Travelling Showman having  stall on fair'

1)  I think you mean the 1901 census.
2)  His name looks like Evan Evans, NOT Aran/Aaron Evans.  (Compare it with Alice or Arthur or Elizabeth on the same page.)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 June 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chempat, If that is the right Aran/Aaron, it would also mean, he married again before 1939 for there to be a Catherine Evans. I believe his first wife Martha Jane Williams died in 1920, but need the death certificate to be sure. Others in the family remarried soon after their spouse died. But I cannot find anything that would fit. I also need the death certificate for the Aran Evans in 1958.

I had the discussion relating to Evan/Aran/Aaron on the Travelling People page. It seems to be the right family and I can understand the two typos in transcription. The 1901 census information also appears on the romanygenes website.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 June 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
I am finding newspaper articles relating to Daniel and Catherine, Aran’s parents, in 1902 and 1913, both at fairs near Llandeilo and both in court for starting fights. They are the right couple.

In 1901, the transcriber was gathering information in a large encampment of travelling people. Asking questions may have been testing, so writing down what you think is said maybe easier than asking for clarification. They did not seem to be a couple you irritated.

In 1911, it says they had 4 children, with all still alive. I initially thought the oldest had left ‘home’, but on the 1901 when all should be present, there was no mention of number 4. Also on the 1911 census, ‘Exhib’ is written as being exhibitors or showing something at the fairs, but in a newspaper article, it suggests they provided some form of catering.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 June 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Have you got his birth certificate, and what was his Mother's maiden name?