Author Topic: Joseph Cromarty 'Dead Body Found ..' WW2  (Read 4136 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Cromarty 'Dead Body Found ..' WW2
« on: Thursday 20 June 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
I do voluntary war research work for a local war group.  There is a man who has a war grave in my local cemetery at Whitley Bay called Joseph Cromarty who died during WW2 and I am interested in finding out what happened to him:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2811042/cromarty,-joseph/

His burial entry records

'Dead Body Found in'  then what looks like 'South B---? M----?  Isle of Man'

He died on 22 December 1944 and was buried on 28 December 1944.  He was 22 years old according to burial entry.

Was there a local newspaper which might have recorded what happened to him?  Perhaps a story of an inquest?  I will greatly appreciate any information regarding this person.  Thank you.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Cromarty 'Dead Body Found ..' WW2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 June 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
South B---? M----?  Isle of Man'
South Barrule.

CROMARTY, Joseph - W/O (WoP-A/G) - probably killed whilst flying in Wellington XIII, MF174 of the EANS, which flew into high ground on the Isle of Man in bad weather during a training flight.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?17710-441222-Unaccounted-Airwoman-amp-Airmen-22-12-1944

Also information here https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/crash_sites/isle-of-man/vickers-wellington-mf174-south-barrule/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 June 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for these great finds Jen!  So it now becomes clearer about what became of him.  I really appreciate your help with this.

Oh, that poor man and his family, though.  What a sad end to his young life and all due to an accident.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 June 19 18:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for these great finds Jen! 

I just googled 'joseph cromarty isle of man 1944'  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 19 08:00 BST (UK) »
Just to add: The "M----" would either be Marown or Malew.
That, is the name of the relevant parish.

Edited!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 June 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
A Warrant Officer, he had been in the 5th Whitley Bay (St George's) Scout Group.  (Googled his name and found that info).

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 June 19 07:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you too KGarrad and Rhododendron for this additional information.  This seems to solve the mystery of the 'M' word. :)

When my shifts permit I will go to the library and see if there might be some parish records too which might give some more background on his story. 

It appears that his parents married in the Tynemouth registration district in September quarter 1919:

Thomas Cromarty & Isabella E(vans) Elsdon.  Marriage Locator website doesn't give a specific Church but records that it is between two named Churches.  When two are named marriage is sometimes found to have taken place at one of them, so perhaps their marriage might have taken place at Christ Church, in North Shields - this is close to Cullercoats and Whitley Bay.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1919&qtr=3&vol=10b&page=616&search=search

Also, Joseph appears to have been born in 1922 March quarter also in Tynemouth registration district so I possibly may be able to look for a baptism, too.