Author Topic: Help identifying uniform possibly Hussars  (Read 2040 times)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying uniform possibly Hussars
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 17:47 BST (UK) »
 In my original query to the uniformology owner I stated that my relative was from Oxfordshire. I have gone back with some queries about the occupation on the census and the dates so I will see what he comes back with. I also think Denbighshire is too far away to be feasible but it is the  only uniform I have seen which  is a close match and I could not find the four chevrons pointing down on any other uniforms that I have looked on. If you look at the Oxfordshire Yeomanry uniform at the lower feather it’s actually a reddish purple and you can see a photo of Winston Churchill‘s actual Oxfordshire yeomanry uniform in colour as it is on display at Blenheim Palace and the lower feather is clearly not white.
 It may just be that my ancestor had hold of the wrong hat! It’s a shame he wasn’t facing the other way in the picture or have his Sabretache on show. I may go back and search the attic for other photos of him another day.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 June 19 07:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, I initially went by uniforms from Site and picked RBH as nearest (white plumes). Bucks was/is two counties away from Oxfordshire, so unlikely. As your man was apparently Oxford farmer and it's a 24/7 occupation must have been QOOH despite uniform anomalies. What did you think of Winston Churchill photo? Your man must have known him. WC's netherwear are dark blue like rest of the uniform, see contrast with top of Hessian boots with gold lace. 

I wouldn't be too hung up about four chevrons, they were not uncommon in cavalry or infantry, points up or down since 1800ish. Sergeant major or equivalent.

Also, have you thought about Oxford newspapers for an obituary, bound to have noted any military history.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 June 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I initially went by uniforms from Site and picked RBH as nearest (white plumes). Bucks was/is two counties away from Oxfordshire, so unlikely. As your man was apparently Oxford farmer and it's a 24/7 occupation must have been QOOH despite uniform anomalies. What did you think of Winston Churchill photo? Your man must have known him. WC's netherwear are dark blue like rest of the uniform, see contrast with top of Hessian boots with gold lace. 

I wouldn't be too hung up about four chevrons, they were not uncommon in cavalry or infantry, points up or down since 1800ish. Sergeant major or equivalent.

Also, have you thought about Oxford newspapers for an obituary, bound to have noted any military history.

That’s a good idea, thanks. Lots more research to do on this one!
Is the photo of WC you mention the one where he is seated?
The QOOH uniform is a good match and identical to the Denbighshire one apart from the plumes.

(Scroll down to second section)
http://www.uniformology.com/YEOMANRY-07.html

http://www.uniformology.com/YEOMANRY-02.html

This relative probably knew Winston but his Grandaughter who gave me the photo also nursed him during her career!
The photo is of George Albert Chaundy by the way just in case anyone comes across this thread and wants to know!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, seated. To the right in 4th Hussars uniform and one more, son Randolf Churchill also in 4th Hussars uniform.

Found this:-

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28721/page/3704/data.pdf.

Just to clarify, google Oxford Hussars, Images, line 5 down, 3rd on right WC Oxf Huss. click on. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 June 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Regorian link=topic=814764.msg6760611#msg6760611 date=1561647144

Found this:-

[url
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28721/page/3704/data.pdf[/url].

That’s him!  ;D

As for WCs QOOH uniform I think the trousers are red actually which goes to show that red is almost indistinguishable from blue in black and white photos!
See this photo of the real thing lower down the page on this blog:

https://andyandjudi.com/2017/07/29/blenheim-palace-birthplace-of-sir-winston-churchill/

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 June 19 07:54 BST (UK) »
The BP photograph was full dress, red collar, lace design on cuffs and red pantaloons quite different 'order' of dress to the all blue pic. I drew attention to. Anyway, both QOOH and your original photo. same Regiment.

Are you happy with that? I tried to find his obituary but couldn't find it, which undoubtedly would have mentioned his yeomanry service.