Author Topic: Samuel Hood  (Read 353 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Hood
« on: Tuesday 25 June 19 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, trying to establish if the Samuel Hood born c1862/3 UK and appears in Knox Maine 1900 census is one of mine. I have Samuel on the 1871 and 1881 census and then lose completely. I have never found his birth/baptism in the UK so cannot be more precise with exact birth, but he was 8 in 1871 and 19 in 1881. His mother was known as either Emma Hood nee' Stamp, or Amy Hood/Heywood. His mother married in 1883 to Charles Heywood having been in a relationship with a Samuel Hood (whom she never married)as seen on the 1861 census. Any help welcome or further info required to help search please ask.

Thanks

John

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Hood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi John

The Samuel HOOD in Knox County was born in Wales  - the 1930 Census even states the town he was born as 'New Key"  - which would be "New Quay"

1900: At Rockland Township, Knox County, Maine
Samuel HOOD 36, b Nov 1863, single, b Wales, Rigger
Father and mother both born England
Rented Home
Immigrated: (Not filled in)

1930: At Westhook Street, South Thomaston Town, Knox County, Maine
Samuel HOOD 69, single, b New Key Wales, Labourer, Odd Jobs
Father and mother both born England
Own home, value $600
Immigrated 1878

He's been claimed on a A* Tree as the son of a Sussex born couple, Arthur Maberley Hood and Mary Ann nee Hollamby, and that whole family are in Canada in 1871 & 1881.  The son Samuel stated as  born New Quay, Cardiganshire in 1860 and is a Seaman (which fits in with the 'Rigger' occupation' on Maine Samuel 1900 - and may explain why I can't find Maine Samuel in 1910 & 1920, he may be at sea?)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Hood
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 08:57 BST (UK) »
Ambly, thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I can eliminate him from research. Are there any others a quick look for in the USA might fit the bill. Thanks John