Author Topic: William Cottrell Cause of Death  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Cottrell Cause of Death
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you again to everyone for helping with this.
Cheers
Charlie

Offline leeanne209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a geneic mutation that runs in my family that we now know as early onset alzheimers and can strike from your early thirties to your 40s.. I believe it may read delirium familial certified, but that is just my opinion.

I hope this helps - I had many from my family history die from early onset Alzheimers but there cause of death was lost their mind etc..

Lee-Anne

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 April 22 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlie,
Do you know if this William Cottrell was married with 4 children?  If so, there is a couple of articles in the old papers you may want to see regarding how the widow was helped afterwards. One article refers to his death being from "a peculiar affliction", and another as just "insanity".

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 01:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for helping with this.
I have attached the post mortem report from St George's hospital, where he died, plus the article from the Shoreditch Observer. Yes, he had the 4 children the youngest one (the cripple) died soon after he did. Although the family was living in Mayfair, they had come from Shoreditch about four years previously. Consequently, the wife and 4 children were sent back to Shoreditch, where they lived in the workhouse for several years.  So sad.
BTW - bbart - can you tell me which newspapers you found for this story?
Many thanks again
Charlie

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 05:48 BST (UK) »
Tower Hamlets Mail 07 August 1858 - Page 5
The Royal Standard Theatre - An advertisement* in another column announces a performance at this theatre for the purpose of providing for the widow and orphans of the late William Cottrell, who died in circumstances of peculiar affliction, leaving his family in a very destitute state.  A committee of gentlemen have generously resolved to raise a sum which, by placing the widow in business, will enable her to provide for her children  It is a very praiseworth effort, and we trust it will realise the most sanguine anticipation of the friends of the widow and fatherless.

* this advertisement is identical to the transcription in Shoreditch Observer 14 August 1858 - Page 1 below.

Shoreditch Observer 14 August 1858 - Page 2

Charitable Performance --  The attention of the charitably disposed is requested to the case of the widow and family of the late William Cottrell, a poor man, who died insane, leaving four orphans, one of them a cripple.  The case is strongly recommended by a number of respectable persons, and they have arranged to take a benefit for their relief at the Standard Theatre, on Thursday, August 26th, and those who are desirous of rendering assistance should obtain tickets of admission, for particulars of which see our advertising columns.

Shoreditch Observer 14 August 1858 - Page 1

Great National Standard Theatre,
Shoreditch. - Proprietor, Mr. John Douglass
A Benefit in aid of the Widow and four Orphan Children of the late William Cottrill will take place at the above theatre, on Thursday, August 26th, 1858,  The Deceased was Coachman to a Gentleman for thirteen years, and died insane, leaving his Widow and Children totally unprovided for (one unfortunately a Cripple), the eldest under 7 years of age.  Tickets may be had of the following Gentlemen: -
Mr. Manders, Chairman, Hertford-place, Haggerstone.,

Committee

(names and addresses of about 14 Gentlemen)
By whom donations will be thankfully received.

Offline Charlie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 April 22 06:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again bbart.
I was interested to see the reference to William's widow (Catherine) and the intention to place her in business.
From FindMyPast, I found a record of her in St Margaret's prison in the 1861 census and from May 1861 in and out of the workhouse with her 3 children.  In the 1871 census she is lodging in Islington with her eldest son Herbert, and has her occupation as a nurse.
In 1877 she is in the Islington workhouse again, listed as a pauper. But the authorities say that since she was born in St Brides, Fleet street, she must go back to the workhouse there.
In 1887 her death is recorded in the Endell St Workhouse, St Giles.
Again, a sad tale.