Author Topic: Links: Leitrim Family History Society  (Read 13004 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Links: Leitrim Family History Society
« on: Monday 07 July 03 12:20 BST (UK) »
Find out more about Leitrim by contacting the Genealogy Centre.

Leitrim Heritage Centre
County Library, Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim
Tel: +353-78-44012

Website http://homepage.eircom.net/~leitrimgenealogy/
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline tiger

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Links: Leitrim Family History Society
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 04 10:31 GMT (UK) »
i would like to find info on James Gallagher born1826,transported to Australia 1853.
      tiger

Offline Rosemarymee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charges of Leitrim Family History Society
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 13:58 BST (UK) »
 "When our research proves successful a typical figure for total fees is €350.00 to €395.00." - Leitrim Genealogy Centre.

Does anybody else think that what the average Irish Genealogy centre charges is DISGRACEFUL?
Why isn't it posssible in Ireland to pay a reasonable hourly rate and access all this information on computer personally?
I only have personal experience of the Donegal equivalent - which did NOT impress me.  I was charged 17 euros just to talk to an "expert" who then confirmed the information that I had just handed her...
Is this all part of a huge Irish job creation scheme to keep graduates off the streets?

Rosemary
Tyson - Argyll and Stirlingshire
Meehan/Meechan - Glasgow and Stirlingshire
Christy/Christie - Linlithgow,Bo'ness, Dunbs & Stirlingshire
O'Brien  - Linlithgow
Dougherty/Doherty - Dunbartonshire & Stirlingshire

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 September 05 06:44 BST (UK) »
I agree,  Rosemary.

They must  think we are all millionaires.  I couldn't  possibly pay these charges. This one is 'NON profit!'  What would it cost if it were 'profit motivated.' Ireland seems to be hopeless for genealogy. 
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 October 05 20:20 BST (UK) »
Is the old red wine having an effect or an I being dense - what is the relationship to the Genealogy Centre and the Family History Society?
Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosemarymee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry - what exactly are you asking?  We were commenting on the VERY high cost of having Leitrim family history done if you didn't happen to be based in Ireland. There is NOT the possibility - as there is in Scotland - of doing your own online research from anywhere in the world.

The choices are : travel to Ireland, paying your fare and your hotel bills and grappling with unfamiliar processes in Dublin or Belfast
OR
commission your research from so-called "official" bodies who charge you an arm and a leg.

There is a third possibility of finding an Irish family history researcher - but these people are - in my experience - either very unreliable or very expensive.

There is a very real sense that most of these "local" county research outfits were set up to create employment for Irish people.  They rely to a large extent on Irish-Americans willing to pay large sums of money .

I don't think that even if you turned up in Leitrim ready and willing to do your own research that you would be given unrestricted access to the records - as you would in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

If you know differrently, I would be very happy to stand corrected on this issue.

Rosemary

P.S. Is your red wine really nice? I'm drinking a lovely Australian white...
Tyson - Argyll and Stirlingshire
Meehan/Meechan - Glasgow and Stirlingshire
Christy/Christie - Linlithgow,Bo'ness, Dunbs & Stirlingshire
O'Brien  - Linlithgow
Dougherty/Doherty - Dunbartonshire & Stirlingshire

Offline walkerpete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Derbyshire Tup
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 October 05 21:51 BST (UK) »
I was querying the relationship between the Genealogy Centre and the Leitrim Family History Society which I now gather is part of a national organisation, having read up on the Genealogy Society.

I am interested as one of my relations, a genealogical mentor, was very scathing of the Genealogy Centre and their costs and advised me to go to Dublin and do my own research! I have had similar comments from others.

Yes the Chilean red is very pleasant, I've never got into whites I'm afraid, my daughter tells me it's my coarse taste buds!

Just been to Australia via the web looking up Pambula and Baddeley!

Kind regards

Pete

Walker- Tideswell  DBY
Conboy - Greagh LET
Wilson - Bradfield WRY
Prior  - LET
Sanderson - WRY
Graham - GLS
Such - GLS
Moffatt - LND
Hudson - KEN DOR
Prebble - KEN
Ling - SFK
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 May 06 01:51 BST (UK) »
After reading others' reports about the Leitrim Genealogy Centre, wish I had saved my money and time! This March, 2006,  I traveled to the Leitrim Genealogy Centre in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim where I paid 15 Euro for a look up and information about my ggrandfather's brother, Patrick HEALY, who was still living after my ggrandfather's death at 75 yrs old in 1895.  I was urged to sign up for a FULL look up which I declined.  All I wanted was Patrick's Obituary and/or Death Certificate.  What I have received has been an e-mail giving me the EXACT information that I had found at least 4 years ago - FREE - from THEIR website!  It obviously was NOT what I had paid for! It was the wrong Patrick HEALY - death was MUCH too late to be right (1925)!  I traveled from California, paid for lodgings, car rental, meals, airfare, etc - I am quite angry about the cavalier behavior on the "researchers" there.  I believe that there was NO effort to check ANY records other than what they have posted ONLINE. 
Susan Christensen-Nass
HEALY, MCLAUGHLIN, HARVEY - Co. Leitrim
BUCHANAN - unknown
MCGONIGLE, ELLIS, GALLAGHER - possibly Co. Donegal (also stopped there for information - paid 18 Euros and as of this date - no answer!
O'BRIEN - unknown
Buchanan-NIR?SCT?
Healy - Co. Leitrim
Harvey - Co.Leitrim
McLoughlin - Co. Leitrim
McGonigle - Co. Donegal?
Gallagher - Co. Donegal?
Ellis - Co. Donegal?
O'Brien - unknown

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 May 06 19:37 BST (UK) »
Bally, that is such a shame that happened to you.  However, by telling other people what terrible service you got, you may have saved many others from being ripped off,  if that is any solace. 

You might try writing to the tourism/government people in Ireland. Surely they will see that bad publicity like this may discourage people visiting the land of their ancestors. At least you will have the satisfaction of letting them know how you feel.  I would be tempted to write to the local newspaper too. There is nothing like a bit of bad publicity to focus the mind, and who knows maybe shine light on  shady practices.
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.