Author Topic: KRRC  (Read 773 times)

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KRRC
« on: Sunday 30 June 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me if there is a map available for the movements of the 20th KRRC , 3rd division from 1916 to 1918

Many thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KRRC
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 July 19 08:33 BST (UK) »
This may be best directed to the RGJ Museum at Winchester.  A map showing a battalion's movements may exist although I see no sign anywhere.  It would normally be feasible to reconstruct the movements from the war diary.  However, there appears to be only a diary for March to December 1916 (another for 1919 but that is outside your time frame) which is not unusual for a pioneer battalion who worked directly to the division.  The Divisional HQ diary should indicate where the battalion was working, for example in Dec 1916 it was at Courcelles, in April 1917 at Arras.  The process is not straightforward as the battalion was "lent" at times to other divisions so that division's diary may have to be consulted.  They also sent parties to work in different areas.
I see no detailed history of the 3rd Division which would have been another way to go.
You might like to look at the war diary that does exist to see whether that is giving the answers you want  Here at the National Archives:https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352055, here on Ancestry
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1378_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_1405_4-00000

A gloomy reply, do come back if there is any more help needed.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 July 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Max

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 July 19 22:16 BST (UK) »
Update.

It transpires, thanks to an enquiry elsewhere, and thanks to a member of another forum, that for whatever reason Ancestry has only part of 20 KRRC diary for the period I assumed was missing.

Despite the title, the National Archives has the whole 243 pages from Dec 1915 to Dec 1918.

£3.50 and it is yours https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352055

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gratuation

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 July 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Max