Author Topic: Martha Warrington - born in Fenny Bentley around 1801?  (Read 1457 times)

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Warrington - born in Fenny Bentley around 1801?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 July 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Joseph Warrington, Husbandman of Fenny Bentley, who was born 1773 and died 22 February 1832 left a Will in which he mentions his brothers John and Richard, his sister Elizabeth and his daughter Martha. No mention of his wife so I'd guess that she predeceased him. Image available on FindMyPast.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 July 19 08:31 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism on familysearch for a Joseph Warrington baptised 20 June 1773 at Gawsworth, Cheshire, with parents John and Martha. Unfortunately he die 11 January 1774. Has someone found this baptism and committed the ultimate sin of presuming they have the right person?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 July 19 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you emeltom.
It looks like they haven't actually found a baptism for Martha Warrington - so I'm not sure whether the 1801 dob is simply backtracking from a death age record in Tasmania?

I think the key here would be to try to track down Joseph and Peggy Warrington as they are documented as being the grandparents of William and Martha (Warrington) Buxton's children
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 July 19 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry but I have a confession to make.I didn't read that Will for Joseph in 1832 well enough.
There are siblings John,Richard and Elizabeth  but after John's death Joseph's daughter  Martha Warrington receives something.
He only left £5 and was a husbandman.
The Will is on FindMyPast.

Still can't see a baptism,for Martha or a marriage Joseph and Peggy.

Ciderdrinker

Offline aitch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 July 19 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks cidermaker.
I just found transcriptions of the Fenny Bentley registers online and there appears to be a gap in the baptism register between Dec 1795 and 1813, which 'could' account for why Martha isn't showing up.

Joseph and Peggy remain a mystery.  They're not listed in the marriages or in Banns...
RATCLIFFE, BARLOW, BERESFORD, BLOOR, BYATT, DAKIN, KENT, LEES, MORTON, NORCLIFFE, OAKS, OSBORNE, PARKS, RICHARDSON, ROBINSON, SORTON, WETTON, WARRINGTON, WATTS, WOOD, WOLVERSCROFT (all from the Staffordshire Moorlands) - and specific interest in anyone who at any time lived in or around the village of ALTON