Author Topic: "Remanded at large" meaning  (Read 706 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Remanded at large" meaning
« on: Thursday 04 July 19 22:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what "Remanded at large" means?  Google has failed me; I can only come up with NZ law.  I understand it means "free to go until called back", but if that's the case, then the two men I am researching, who were called before the magistrates for robbery, were not called back to be tried (1856).  A third man was involved in the robbery and appeared with the other two, but was actually sent to the Assizes to be tried for a separate robbery against his employer.  I can find no record of any of them being prosecuted and fined for the robbery that was reported.
(Samuel Knight, William Knight, Thomas Brown, robbery at the King and Miller, Deepcar, nr Sheffield)
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: "Remanded at large" meaning
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 July 19 23:34 BST (UK) »
The opposite of Remanded at Large, is Remanded in Custody. You are quite right and both mean exactly what they say. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 July 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
I've just come across across another robbery at the same pub, two years later.  Again the thief was "remanded at large" and again nothing seems to have come of it; he was not fined and did not appear again in the newspaper.  So was he "free to go"? If so why wasn't he found "not guilty", or why was there no further report of any proceedings?  I'm confused, sorry!
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 July 19 00:06 BST (UK) »
In the UK there is a terminal date. Remanded in Custody for three weeks pending further investigations. The police then have three weeks to gather evidence and then charge the person. If not enough, or no, evidence is found, the time runs out and the person in Custody, or at Large is released and no further action is taken.   

That is usually the end of the matter - they can't keep on investigating for years and years. But if new evidence comes to light during a different investigation, then the relevant parties can be rearrested and it all starts again. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 July 19 00:47 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what "Remanded at large" means?
Boris Johnson.
Davies in Wales :(

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 July 19 02:02 BST (UK) »
'Remanded at large' is effectively the same as being remanded on bail.   Bail can be set at O.R.  ie Own Recognisance.  So, a defendant in a criminal matter can be released from custody to be 'at large' ie able to live and work in the community, without having to provide any financial proof that they will ensure they are available for any court hearing of the criminal matters brought by the police to the court.  A person charged is of course Innocent (of the charges) until Proven Guilty (by a duly convened court) ... :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 July 19 06:24 BST (UK) »
The Sheffield Daily Telegraph page 2, Wednesday 29 October 1856.

Town Hall, Yesterday
Before J Haywood Esq,  V Corbett Esq,  R Bayley Esq, and Rev J Hand
The Robbery at Deepcar
W Knight, Samuel Knight and Thomas Brown, charged with the robbery at Deepcar were again brought up. The case has before been fully reported in this paper - Mr Festson appeared for the two Knights, Mr Broadbent for Brown.  In answer to Mr Fretson, Mrs Duke said that the room in which the three prisoners slept was a double-bedded room and that four other men slept in the same room, but they left the house by five o'clock in the morning, and that was before the robbery was committed.  These four men were regular lodgers in the house , and had lodged there for some years.  Mr Raynor stated that yesterday morning, the prisoner Samuel Knight sent a message to him, saying that if permitted he would tell all he knew about the affair.  Mr Raynor then sent for him up and he said that the day before the robbery Brown came and asked him and his brother to take a walk into the country, but nothing was said about a robbery.  They got as far as Deepcar and slept at Duke's public house as stated.  After they left in the morning, Brown gave each of them 10s 6d., but they did not know where he had got it.  Mr Fretson contended that his clients could not have known that Brown had committed the robbery for if they had they would not have been content with so small a portion of it as a guinea between them.  Mr Albert Smith said this evidence could not be taken so long as Knight was a prisoner, nor unless the prosecutor was willing.  The two prisoners, Samuel and William Knight were then remanded at large, and Brown was charged with stealing 10s, the property of Mr Beal, scissors manufacturer, Jericho street.  .................. (the article continues and Brown was committed for trial on the charge re Mr Beal, the scissors manufacturer).

ADD, so the three had originally been held on Remand, IN CUSTODY as on the day of the trial the three were 'brought up' ie brought up to the bench magistrate,  from the (police/prison/lockup) cells, and once the court heard the statement from the Knights, and the explanation from their legal representative,  they were released - ie remanded at large.  So no further action was taken, and the charges fall away after the statutory period of time.   And Chas has already noted this was three weeks. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 July 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your very helpful replies. Appreciated.
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Scargill (Barnsley)