Author Topic: how do i start searching for family history and do a family tree.  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do i start searching for family history and do a family tree.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 July 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat from me too.  :)

To add a little more (apologies for any repeat advice) ....

Don't assume that because your ancestor was John Smith born around 1890 in London, that the John Smith you find on a website is your John Smith. You need to cross check other identifiers if possible (place of birth, occupation etc).

On the other hand, keep in mind that there was a lot of variation in spellings. Many people couldn't read or write and there can be many different ways to interpret the spelling of some surnames.

Don't think that because you find someone's tree on the internet and it has some of your ancestors in it, that it is correct. There are loads of mistakes on loads of trees.

It is easy to get muddled especially when if you have 3, four, or more generations of ancestors all called John Smith, who are all married to women called Ann, who all live in the same village, and all have the same occupations .... not to mention cousins also called John. You will find a system that  works for you, but I find a visual representation helps sort them out. (I start with pencil and paper)  :)

Definitely ask for help here whenever you need it.  :)

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do i start searching for family history and do a family tree.
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 July 19 14:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to beginning of what could turn into a lifelong hobby.

How do you start researching?  Well according to some you just type in a name and your whole family history will appear....well no not really.

Take your time be patient...don't try to go back centuries in an afternoon.

Remember rootschatters are always here to help no matter what the question :)

Good luck and enjoy.