Author Topic: Greenwich Cemetery - Herbert and Charlotte Laxton  (Read 2481 times)

Offline LWoodley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenwich Cemetery - Herbert and Charlotte Laxton
« on: Monday 15 July 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone visit Greenwich Cemetery who could find the graves of Herbert and Charlotte Laxton for me?    I am assuming they are buried together.   Herbert died 1 Mar 1940, and Charlotte (nee Atkinson) died Mar 1957. 

Any help would be much appreciated,

Regards,
Lisa in New Zealand

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich Cemetery - Herbert and Charlotte Laxton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 July 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
There are over 90,000 burials there
A realistically, you'll need to give the plot reference.

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?AcctView=Login&SrchView=Basic&DetsView=Content&section=CONTRIBUTORS&context=GREENWICH

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline LWoodley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 July 19 21:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course. Sorry. Will try and find that out.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 July 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
Charlotte + A N Other are on deceasedonline but I can't find Herbert; perhaps he's the ANO mistranscribed. "Greenwich" is the name of the LA from which they got the registers; they aren't necessarily at Greenwich itself. I can't find either of them at Find A Grave, nor in any photos I've taken at any of the Greenwich cemeteries (not that I've photographed every grave!). As it's a grave with only 2 burials, it's not a common one, which gives a reasonable chance there is a headstone and that it's not in one of the areas left unmown as part of an eco-friendly policy.

I don't have a deceasedonline sub, so I'll have to ask you to pay for the cemetery name and plot number, with which I can assess the chances of finding the grave a bit better. I won't need a map, and shouldn't need the register scan unless it's one of the cases where I suspect deceasedonline don't transcribe the section number fully enough.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline LWoodley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, thank you so much.    Ok the grave reference is C/804 and Herbert is buried with her but there has been a transcription error on his surname (which I'll get corrected).

She was my 2nd great Aunt and the eldest daughter of sixteen children.  She was born in Leiston, Suffolk in 1863 to a Robert and Annie Atkinson.  At 18, she is on the UK census, still living at home in Ashton Under Lyne and still at school - I am curious to know what she was studying before she got married a few years later.

Thanks again, 

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 05:12 BST (UK) »
Then they're near Signalman Ronald Arman, C/807, which should be easy to find. I think it's about 2/3 up the hill, the Arman photo is taken looking towards Section D, and that the numbers descend into the distance, in which case it's the grave with a low headstone you can just see behind Arman's. I'll try to get there this weekend or next, but if anyone can go sooner, then do so.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline LWoodley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 05:31 BST (UK) »
Fantastic!  Thanks so much. :D

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa,

I believe that this is probably the Laxton grave. It is in the previous row down the hill from that of Signalman Arman and right at the end, where the path separates Sections C and D.
My camera died on me, so I had to use my phone, but do have a higher resolution than the one posted below.

Phil

Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
I found that one too, having realised that I had the counting direction from Arman wrong and counted from Jordan, C/796, in the previous row instead. I've been poring over closeups of the blackened and pitted headstone and front kerb to try to make out any letters or plot number, but without success.

The problem is that if you work back from Arman you come to another possibility of an unmarked grave on the edge of the path between Sections Z and C. There appear to be one too many graves per row. It's not uncommon to have a separately-numbered column along the edge of a section, and before saying anything I was waiting for time to do some more investigation and maybe go back for another look.

On balance, I think the one Phil found probably is the Laxtons', but having been mislead too many times by perverse grave numbering schemes, I like to be sure.