Author Topic: St. Martins-Robert, Margaret Ann  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Lincor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Martins-Robert, Margaret Ann
« on: Thursday 18 July 19 18:29 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon;

I am trying to find information on my grandmother Margaret Ann Robert.  She was born abt 1868 in St. Martins. Her parents were Moses (Moise) Robert and Marguerite Falla.
Margaret married Thomas Henry Bates in 1896 in St. Martins.  My great aunt Lucy Ann we believe was born on the island of Guernsey abt 1897, but haven't been able to find a birth record. Thomas and Margaret went to the London area.  Thomas and Margaret had a child in 1899, William Thomas who died in 1900 according to records on ancestry.  My grandmother, Bertha Elizabeth Bates was born abt 1901, baptised at St. Marks, Marylebone. Jessie Florence was born abt 1903.  Bertha and Lucy were sent to a Barnardo Home and in the records that we have obtained show Margaret's address as 23 Paris Street, Guernsey.  I have checked the 1911 census and do not see a record of her.  She may have went to live with her brother William.  We think she may have remarried as Jessie in a document refers to her mother as Margaret Bates Brown.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to know what happened to Margaret, she did not have an easy life by the looks of the research (deserted by her husband).

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Martins-Robert, Margaret Ann
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 July 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I wonder if this Margaret Ann Brown is worth looking with the right age and birth place and husband Samuel plus married 3 years :-\   https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7JW-S4N

Kay

Offline Lincor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thank You Kay.
I did see that census record, just not sure how to verify the information.
The interesting fact that I noticed, is that they state no children.  Is that because they did not have children together, would Margaret say no children due to surrendering hers to Dr. Barnardo's.

Regards,
Linda

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
If this is your Margaret her children would not be recorded in the 1911 census because they were not children of her marriage to Samuel Brown.
The 1911 census required that only children of the present marriage be recorded. The instructions were misunderstood by many people which was very helpful for us researchers sometimes but IF this is your Margaret then she and Samuel did as the instructions asked.
The marriage certificate would name the father of Margaret and as it is a more unusual first name could be the answer.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 July 19 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda and welcome to Rootschat  :) have you checked this birth on www.gro.gov.uk
Lucy Ann Bates birth year 1897 Hendon Middlesex mothers maiden name Roberts ..Not seeing a baptism but might be worth checking out ..

Rosie

Offline Lincor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 November 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Update: I have obtained birth records for Lucy Ann Bates and yes she was born in Hendon. Parents listed as Margaret Ann Robert and Thomas Henry Bates.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 November 19 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Update: I have obtained birth records for Lucy Ann Bates and yes she was born in Hendon. Parents listed as Margaret Ann Robert and Thomas Henry Bates.

Glad it was the right one  ;)

Rosie