Author Topic: Suffolk Light Militia 1796  (Read 423 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Suffolk Light Militia 1796
« on: Friday 19 July 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
I found a note in a baptismal record from 1796 (Berkshire baptism index) that the father of an ancestor, William King (born 1760-1780?), was a member of the Suffolk Light Militia. The record came from Bray, Berkshire but mentions "but late of the parish of Lavenham". I am trying to find his military record and having no luck. Other baptismal records for his children list his occupation as tailor. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Light Militia 1796
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 July 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
The Suffolk Light Militia was a part time organisation so if he was doing his annual training when the baptism took place, then that would be why he is recoded as a member.  In the other records he may have still been a member but was back at his civilian trade.  Records for the militia that far back are rarely found!
Complicated by the fact that names changed over the years.  Kew has some documents that illustrate this:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_p=1700&_q=+suffolk+light+militia
The Suffolk record office may have some records (the militia were a county responsibility)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 19 16:06 BST (UK) »
TheGenealogist.co.uk has some Sussex muster roll transcriptions from that era from WO 13/2030. There is a Private William King recorded as attending musters of Colonel Euston's company of the Sussex West militia regiment in 1781 (at Warley), 1782 (at Newmarket and Danbury) ; and in 1783 he transferred to Captain Brooke's company.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 July 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both ShaunJ and MaxD for the background of the militia (name changes), links and insight. Wm was a tailor so that makes sense that he could be in the military due to his trade I guess. I wonder if that was a good way to make money or was it something people of the area were compelled to do? I will take a look in a few genealogy websites and see if there is a trace of him other than the BMDs. Again, thanks for the great information!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton