Author Topic: William and Samuel Arlidge, of Deddington, Oxfordshire, England  (Read 750 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William and Samuel Arlidge, of Deddington, Oxfordshire, England
« on: Sunday 21 July 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find any trace of these two men in St Louis, Missouri, or Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, between 1843 and 1847?

Or their passenger records, 1843 to 1847?

Or William's death, probably in New Brighton, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, after 1880?

Or William's wife Elizabeth (Gregory) Arlidge's death, between 1850 and 1860 in Allegheny City?

------
Background, and what I have so far:

William Arlidge was born about 1795 in Deddington, England. His son Samuel was born there in 1818.

Samuel's autobiography says that 'he emigrated to America with his wife and family in 1843. He lived chiefly in St Louis, Missouri, and in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. He returned to England in 1847.'

William is on the 1841 Census in Barford St Michael, Oxfordshire, but is in Allegheny City in 1850 and 1860, so I assume he emigrated about the same time as Samuel. William remained in the US and probably died in New Brighton, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, after 1880.

I have all their English records, marriages, baptisms, censuses 1841 to 1891, Samuel's death, William's first wife's death, etc. I also have William's censuses in Pennsylvania for 1850 to 1880 and his daughters Mary (Arlidge) Wilson and Hannah Arlidge's censuses and deaths. Also some city directory listings and tradesman listings for William in Allegheny. Also Samuel's short autobiography in The Tradesman.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William and Samuel Arlidge, of Deddington, Oxfordshire, England
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 July 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Have you searched the  PA Probate Records for Beaver Co on familysearch?

No. Thank you for the suggestion and the link. That will be my next place to look.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 July 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who posted and also to those who viewed and tried to find something. I knew it would be difficult but I thought I'd give it a try. I will go ahead with what I have on these two men.

I didn't find William in the index to the Beaver County Will Books.

Offline Ajayt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there, was interested to read your post. I have a Samuel Arlidge in my family tree born 1818 in Deddington and his father William but William was born in Cropredy Oxfordshire. (Not far from Deddington) They may not be the same people, I’m not aware that This Samuel went out to the States. He was married to Rhoda Billing in 1836. Samuel seems to have had a lot of jobs, 1841 Organ builder, 1861 engine fitter, 1871 upholsterer and photographer (had a studio in Northampton UK) 1891 Organ builder and on his death certificate for 1892 described as master organ builder.

Be interesting and hope you have made some progress with your search.

Best wishes
Angela

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there, was interested to read your post.

Be interesting and hope you have made some progress with your search.

Best wishes
Angela

Hi, thank you very much for posting. I'm almost positive it is the same person, Samuel spent a few years in the US, in St Louis and Allegheny City, PA (now part of Pittsburgh).
I'm not related but I saw a letter online that his father William received while in Pennsylvania. I was curious about who it was from. You can read my accounts starting here:
https://myoldohiohome.com/articles/samuel-arlidge-of-deddington-weedon-bec-and-nether-heyford-england.html

That page has a link to a short article about William and a brief tree for both.

Samuel's autobiography is on page 16 of this publication:
https://organhistoricalsociety.org/downloads/tracker/public/old/1976-21-1.pdf
(also linked to from Samuel's article on my site)

Please take a look and check the information against what you have, I would like to get it right on my site if it is incorrect. You can post here, or contact me through the email link in the sidebar of the site. on a tablet or phone it is in the footer.

Is your tree online?

-- Ed H.

Offline Ajayt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 20 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ed,
Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I found your website not long after posting the message and reading the article about Samuel Arlidge organ builder that you posted and can confirm that it is the same person. I don’t think the family had any idea that he had been out to the States and worked there. That can’t have been a great time to make such a journey. I was touched by his thanks to the various people in the States that helped the family on their arrival and how much help they needed. I will get in touch via your site since I do have a photo of Samuel’s son William’s wedding to send. Possibly his father Samuel is in the background of the family group but it’s not possible to be 100% sure if it is him or the bride’s father. I appreciate that you mentioned not having a direct link to the family but enjoyed reading the material you had posted.

I haven’t done much research for some time and any history that I did post online has expired now. Much of what I have matches the records from Neville Arlidge.

Very best wishes

Angela