Author Topic: BOLIVIA: Polish Family JACKGOWSKI in Cochabamba, Bolivia  (Read 8123 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BOLIVIA: Polish Family JACKGOWSKI in Cochabamba, Bolivia
« on: Wednesday 24 July 19 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience in researching family history in Bolivia?
Are there any local sources? Street/Trade Directories? Probate records? Etc.

Thanks!
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Member of Lubus Genealogical Society
    • View Profile
Re: BOLIVIA: Polish Family JACKGOWSKI in Cochabamba, Bolivia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 August 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
I found information about Polish engineer Józef Jackowski, who in 1886 conducted geological research in Bolivia in the Andes. He died there in 1914. Perhaps it was the Jackowski family from Cochabamba.
On familysearch.org I found list of records from Bolivia from around Cochabamba but only from 1579-1808. Unfortunately, there are no later ones- https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/588334?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Genealogy, history, sport, rock music.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 August 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jozef,

Yes, this is the same family. Thank you so much!  :)
Where did you find this info? Is it online?

Thanks very much,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 August 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, I found this information on the internet. Unfortunately, it is in Polish. If you want I can translate it into English.

Translate:
Particularly noteworthy is the figure of Józef Jackowski, a Polish engineer and geologist, who in 1886 was engaged by the Bolivian government to conduct geological research in the Andes.Initially, he worked on the boards of Bolivian mines, where he won the Indians with good and fair treatment.He studied their customs and was the only European to learn Quechua.He translated Indian prayers and poetry, and translated the "Our Father" prayer into their language.
He was the founder and director of the mining school in Potosi. He developed a topographic map of south-west Bolivia.From 1890, he published Exceptions from Letters from Bolivia, which were published in the annuals of the Poznań Society of the Friends of Sciences. He died in Bolivia in 1914.

I found information that Józef Jackowski was born 23 January 1863 y. in Poznań.

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 August 19 21:25 BST (UK) »
Glen, I found this information about this family:

I think it was a  Jozef`s family.
However, I found the record books from Bolivia for familysearch. There are many of them. Here you have the link- https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Bolivia_Online_Genealogy_Records
I think you have a familysearch account?I am currently looking for a death record in Cochabamba from 1914. There were several parishes there, you have to look in each of them.

Jozef

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 August 19 10:35 BST (UK) »
Jozef, thank you so much.
From the information you've given me, I've found many mentions of Jozef in numerous publications, where they talk of his geological work in the country! Thank you  :) This has given us many new place names of various areas of Bolivia that we can now try to find records in.

And yes, that's his sister in law's death record. I've yet to discover if Jozef married or had children.

Thanks again for all your help!
Glen

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 August 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you know his fate in Poland. He was probably born in the city of Ostrow, he went to junior high school and then to high school. I have a chance to learn more about his ancestors in Poland. Are you interested in this?

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 August 19 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jozef, thanks for the kind offer! Any info you can find, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help, Glen

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen!
 I will try to help you find the Polish roots of Józef Jackowski. However, I have a question for you, it is important - who was Józef Jackowski to you? Was he your ancestor?

Jozef