Author Topic: WITAKA, Heni or maybe WHITIKER / WHITAKER Jane: Same Person? Northland 1800's  (Read 1257 times)

Offline edesearch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WITAKA, Heni or maybe WHITIKER / WHITAKER Jane: Same Person? Northland 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 July 19 12:53 BST (UK) »
I don't know if 1848 is correct, it might be but it might just be a rough estimation.

I also don't quite know what to make of the info in the link provided, it's all a bit confusing. I guess it is possible that Heni Witaka and Heni Kamiti are different people who happened to know Elizabeth. Elizabeth also had a sister called Heni so it is also possible that Heni Witaka/Kamiti was also known as Heni Sinclair.

I've attached the two aforementioned marriage certificates below.

Offline ahau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WITAKA, Heni or maybe WHITIKER / WHITAKER Jane: Same Person? Northland 1800's
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 July 19 01:46 BST (UK) »
I appreciate the 2 certs and you are right, the 1848 date is a baptism date, not a birth date, so how old would she have been at that time who knows - and 3 other sibs of hers were baptised on that date also.

I think you are right that Heni WITAKA and Heni KAMITI are 2 different people because Heni WITAKA was the last wife of Reihana PAORA and his first wife died 1883, he married again in 1884.

Right, I must get myself into Te Ahu and find the entries in the marriage register for any of them  :-\

it is a pity that the English marriage registers do not have the same info as the Maori marriage registers as they have a column for bachelor or spinster/ widow(er) which is a great help when trying to work out if someone was married before :D