Author Topic: William LEE Captain RMLI  (Read 309 times)

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William LEE Captain RMLI
« on: Monday 29 July 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me with a date and place of death for William Lee who was a Captain in the RMLI.

William married Mary Ann Mundell on 1 November 1843 in Milton, Gravesend and they had 6 children.

I have William, his wife and 1 child in the 1851 census living in Northfleet, Kent. (HO 107 1609 f 110  Page 3). His age is shown as 46 and born in Gillingham Kent.

In 1861 he is in Horley, Surrey with his wife and 5 children.  He is aged 60 and again place of birth is Gillingham. (RG 9 444 f 87 p 7).

William’s oldest son born in 1845 is with relatives in Marylebone in 1851 and I have not found him in 1861.

Mary Ann Lee died in July 1863 in Kentish Town and is named as the wife of William Lee Captain Royal Marines.  I am not sure why she was there.  The informant was not a relative.

After that I lose William and all his sons from the censuses.  One daughter is with relations in Wales in 1871 and the other possibly away at school in Frant. Both are living with relatives in Wales in 1881 and they later marry there. 

I have looked at William's service record from TNA (ADM 196/58/159)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8112522

This shows that he was on Half Pay from 10 August 1849. He was discharged dead in February 1873 but I cannot find a death registration in England or Wales for the relevant quarter that seems to fit what I know about him.

I have tried tracing his sons in case he might have been with one of them but this has proved hard. I think I have traced 1 son to Canada and then to the US and another to Australia. 

Are there any other military records that might help me find his death?  Or any other suggestions about how I can tackle this problem. please?

Happy to provide more details.  I do wish he had a more unusual name!

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William LEE Captain RMLI
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 July 19 15:13 BST (UK) »
The National Archives guide to RN (which would include RMLI) officers pensions is here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-navy-officers-pensions/
Paragraph 5 (half pay) would seem to apply.  PMG 15 gives https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_sd=1873&_ser=PMG+15&id=C11671&_p=1800

and then:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2139991

But whether the register gives a clue as to the place of death I am afraid I don't know.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William LEE Captain RMLI
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 July 19 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those links Max.

Looks like I will need to get to Kew or find someone to look at the records for me.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk