Author Topic: William Bridges Suffolk Regiment  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Mrb1725

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Bridges Suffolk Regiment
« on: Monday 29 July 19 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I am trying to find more information on my grandfather Private William Bridges. He served as a rifleman in the first world War and was bayoneted and poisoned by gas. He was a cattleman and was born and lived around Great Glemham in Suffolk. He had three sons, Robert, Geoffrey and my father Charles Phillip. I know after he returned from the front, he was never the same person. He ended up in the servicemens home in Croma, where he was later buried. Any 8nfo would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Bridges Suffolk Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 July 19 21:53 BST (UK) »
Can you tell us his birthyear? 

When did he die?

Which regiment did he serve with and do you know his regimental number

Over 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed during the WW2 blitz and the only one I can see was an Arthur William Bridges serving with the Sussex Regt and he was married to an Elizabeth Howard Bridges

There are a couple of possible Medal Roll Index entries but without knowing his regimental number etc it’s difficult to determine the right entry

Did he marry Kate Smith in 1919? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 July 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
I know you are looking at his service history but are you aware that William & Kate had 4 more children who all died in infancy?

Doreen born & died 1921
Anita A b 1922 d 1923
Ernest E b 1924 d 1925
Donald C b 1925 d 1926
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mrb1725

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 06:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, that is indeed my grandfather. Dad told us that he lost a few siblings in infancy , they called it “ lack of constitution “ back then. I have my grandfathers war details and the form where he was mentioned in dispatches for bravery. I will find it and post more details.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 09:29 BST (UK) »
The additional information will help.  There are records for men called William (or W) Bridges in the Suffolk Regiment but none that link with the place and the relatives name you give.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mrb1725

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
OK, after much searching, I have found HIS Army form B 2079, which I think is his discharge form. He enlisted in Framlingham 4th March 1910. Not sure if you can see the e attached copy of this form, but he served 9 years and 21 days.
Discharge form number 7968?
Discharged 24th March 1919

He had...
1914 star
1 x red chevron
 4 x Blue chevrons
DCM
1x wound stripe

His name was private William Bridges.

I hope these details and documents help.

Thank You

Paul. Bridges

Offline Mrb1725

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have also found this document if it helps, but I can't find his army number

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 17:52 BST (UK) »
It's OK 7968 is his army number and there are some records on Findmypast including his POW records (which confirm he was from Glenham).
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&lastname=bridges&soldiernumber=7968&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

Lots to get our teeth into there , need a little time.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 July 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
We are unable for copyright reasons to post records direct from Findmypst (or other subscription sites).  However, for starters:

You can see his POW records on the Red Cross site (they are the ones shown on FindMyPast).  https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/5136924/3/2/

If you enter each of the PA numbers in turn (do them in numerical order) they then bring up the records.
The first one is in Berlin from 30 Oct 1915 where he is listed in an eye clinic  Next from 24 May 1916 from POW camp Doeberitz showing he was captured at Le Cateau and brought there from the  eye clinic on 11 May 1916.  The third is from Oct 1916 from POW camp Scheidemuhl.   It is likely that he had been in captivity since 23 August 1914 when 2 Suffolks were overrun ans 500 men taken prisoner.http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/le_cateau.htm.  He had landed in France on 15 August 1914

You can also go direct to the National Archives where he has 3 medal records:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=7968%20bridges&_nq1=platoon&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv  you don't necessarily need to download these, the preview is readable enough.

The London Gazette has the publication of his Distinguished Conduct Medal:
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31759/supplement/1220 which may be related to his conduct in captivity, there doesn't appear to be a citation.

His full service record seems to have been among the 60% or so that were lost in WW2 to bombing.

You can also download the war diary of 2 Suffolks at the National Archives:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352081

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk